Whale pump pulsing

wedgy replied on 11/05/2021 13:21

Posted on 11/05/2021 13:21

Noticed that the Whale submersible pump is pulsing when opening the hot tap but runs smooth when on cold, consequently the hot flow is less than the hot. Also there is always a small  amount of water in the inlet socket when removing  the connector. Just read the Bailey manual and it says there are 3 golden rules Re the pump one being " the  pump assembly MUST be unplugged BEFORE putting the pump back into the refilled water container" I had never seen that before and don't understand why it says that. Can anyone enlighten me as to why it HAS to be u plugged, I would have thought that would encourage airlocks ?

commeyras replied on 11/05/2021 15:32

Posted on 11/05/2021 15:32

It is to reduce the chance of  air locks in the system.  Pulsing would indicate that air is in the hot system.  Check the security of the jubilee clips on the hot system or you may to to adjust the pressure valve, instructions should be in your handbook.  Or the '0' rings need to be replaced.

EmilysDad replied on 11/05/2021 20:19

Posted on 11/05/2021 19:14 by wedgy

I've ordered new O rings. I don't understand why removal of the inlet socket will reduce the risk of air lock. 

Posted on 11/05/2021 20:19

I agree. The submersible pumps (both Whale & Truma) even have a stowage point while you take the aquaroll to fill it.

commeyras replied on 12/05/2021 09:16

Posted on 12/05/2021 09:16

I did say 'reduce' not remove the risk of an airlock as by putting pump into water before connecting to caravan should allow water to enter pump and part of pipe.  But I am not an hydraulics engineer! My experience has been that if the water system is empty, after filling the Aquaroll and connecting the pump when I turn the pump on if it just runs without pulling water I disconnect from caravan and jiggle pump in water it always solves the problem.  Rarely happens when just refilling Aquaroll.  Hope the O rings solve the problem, I always carry a spare set.

wedgy replied on 12/05/2021 09:16

Posted on 11/05/2021 20:19 by EmilysDad

I agree. The submersible pumps (both Whale & Truma) even have a stowage point while you take the aquaroll to fill it.

Posted on 12/05/2021 09:16

Thats why I don't get the MUST be removed instruction, I've rung Whale but no response yet..

jennyc replied on 17/05/2021 08:13

Posted on 17/05/2021 08:13

I’ve enquired and researched lots of issues surrounding caravaning over the years, reaching the conclusion that much of the expert advice comes from people who don’t know. That’s in part because they aren’t actually caravaners.

Unplugging the hose from your van before dropping the pump into your refilled barrel is a good example. Another gem is that Alko Trailers can’t explain how to avoid the road chafing their standard length breakaway cable when you’ve attached it to a fixed point on a tow bar where that fixing is close to the ball hitch. Fascinating too is their advice not to lower one corner steady at a time - synchronised winding with your spouse on the opposite side is obviously required. I love too, the way that an awning which costs hundreds of pounds is supplied with pegs too flimsy for a child’s garden tent.

I’d stick to your own common sense if I were you.

OzzydogFamily replied on 18/07/2021 10:30

Posted on 18/07/2021 10:30

Mine is the opposite problem - pulses on cold, smooth flow on hot. Had our new-to-us 2015 Bailey Pegasus delivered to us on Friday, so still finding out where everything is (and where everything will stow away - very different from our previous van :) ). I'll check O-rings, and see how we go. Our old Carver system didn't suffer from that, and would always self-prime even from an empty system over the winter. Whale one seems less efficient, after a brief try-out. Not checked yet whether it is the Premium or High-Flow pump.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook