Water traps

geoffeales replied on 16/01/2020 16:36

Posted on 16/01/2020 16:36

has anyone used crystal water traps? We used to use an electric dehumidifier but now the van is in storage we've bought a couple of these traps and so far they don't seem to be gathering any water! the crystals go in the top tray right? And to what level should they be filled in the tray? Sorry so dim but I can't help thinking I'm doing something wrong

thanks in anticipation

Tinwheeler replied on 16/01/2020 16:46

Posted on 16/01/2020 16:46

Give it time and they’ll collect water. They’re bound to as they’ll draw damp in from the big outside.

Wherenext replied on 16/01/2020 18:17

Posted on 16/01/2020 18:17

We use them and yes the crystals go in the top bit. We use a small fan heater in the caravan when not using it but only set to frost. We've had them in since end November and took them out about a week ago. Barely a centimetre of water. Caravan was dry when we went in. We left the container in the kitchen in the house in error and after 2 days it was nearly full.surprisedsmile

SteveL replied on 16/01/2020 19:08

Posted on 16/01/2020 19:08

I remain dubious about the benifits. We did use them the first year we had a van but did not bother thereafter. As a caravan is not a sealed environment surely damp laden air is just replaced from outside. So in my case I would be trying to dehumidify Nottinghamshire. I think the main thing is to put the van into storage during winter weather, in a dry a condition as possible. So for instance not using the shower on the last day.

Tigi replied on 16/01/2020 20:01

Posted on 16/01/2020 20:01

Never used heating or dehumidifiers in over twenty years of owning motorhomes/caravans the only issue we`ve had is when using a cover one winter resulting in internal mildew spots. Keep cupboards etc part open stand cushions to maximise air circulation and that's it.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook