Water pressure

Baymare replied on 11/11/2022 15:57

Posted on 11/11/2022 15:57

Hi I have. 2001 coachman Amara the water pressure in the shower is a dribble and very poor at the bathroom sink.

It good at the kitchen. I have played around with the pressure switch and have it as good as I can get it.

The pump is a 14 litre per minute would replacing it with a higher related flow pump improve the flow.

I am not bothered about the shower as we never use and prefer on site amenities as there is more room.

Would just like a better flow of water at the bathroom sink.

Cheers

Tinwheeler replied on 11/11/2022 16:17

Posted on 11/11/2022 16:17

If you increase the pressure too much you run the risk of blowing the joints apart.

Have you had a look at the pipe run? Yours wouldn’t be the first van built with kinks in the pipes or unnecessary loops and bends. It might pay to replumb it with a straighter run.

Robert replied on 11/11/2022 16:36

Posted on 11/11/2022 16:36

hi I would look at pipework to bathroom area as you say it ok at sink is it same on hot & cold?

Baymare replied on 11/11/2022 18:11

Posted on 11/11/2022 18:11

Hi looked at the pipe work what I can see appears ok.

I realize working a submersible pump won't give you dynamice flow and I'm happy with it at the kitchen and I can work with the poor flow at the bathroom.

I was just wondering if pump with 17-19 flow would help.and not do damage.

I've done all the usual tracing of pipes and taking out filters.

Thanks for the posts but I have noticed this appears to be a common problem in older vans like mine and you shouldn't expect miracles.

Tks

Tinwheeler replied on 11/11/2022 18:40

Posted on 11/11/2022 18:40

I don’t agree about it being a problem in older vans. I’ve had vans 10 years older than yours that haven’t shown these issues.

I can’t advise about different pumps/flows I’m afraid as I know nothing about the fitments on your van. I can only again suggest getting underneath and replacing the pipes.

Good luck.

richardandros replied on 12/11/2022 05:39

Posted on 12/11/2022 05:39

I'm wondering if, given the age of the van, it's simply a blockage somewhere - either due to algae or limescale.  If you can't take the pipework apart to clean it out, try running a solution of vinegar / bicarb through the system and leaving it to stand for 24 hrs (recommended, anyway as a means of descaling the boiler). Changing the showerhead may also be a quick way of removing a limescale blockage there.

As far as replacing pumps is concerned - when we took delivery of our van, I changed both pumps (internal and external) from Truma to Whale High Flows and the increase in pressure / flow rate was very noticeable - indeed our shower in the van is now almost as good as that at home.

Baymare replied on 12/11/2022 07:54

Posted on 12/11/2022 07:54

Richardandros that sounds like a plan I'll get on the over the winter before the season starts again.

Like I say we don't use the shower and I do have water in the bathroom sink.

It maybe I am expecting too much from a small submersible pump.

Thanks to all.

replied on 12/11/2022 08:26

Posted on 12/11/2022 08:26

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

replied on 12/11/2022 10:24

Posted on 12/11/2022 05:39 by richardandros

I'm wondering if, given the age of the van, it's simply a blockage somewhere - either due to algae or limescale.  If you can't take the pipework apart to clean it out, try running a solution of vinegar / bicarb through the system and leaving it to stand for 24 hrs (recommended, anyway as a means of descaling the boiler). Changing the showerhead may also be a quick way of removing a limescale blockage there.

As far as replacing pumps is concerned - when we took delivery of our van, I changed both pumps (internal and external) from Truma to Whale High Flows and the increase in pressure / flow rate was very noticeable - indeed our shower in the van is now almost as good as that at home.

Posted on 12/11/2022 10:24

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Tinwheeler replied on 12/11/2022 13:21

Posted on 12/11/2022 10:24 by

I'm intrigued by a solution of vinegar / bicarb.  One is a low strength acid which may dissolve some limescale.  The other is an alkali which will have no effect on the limescale.  In solution one will neutralise the other.  How does your suggestion work?

Posted on 12/11/2022 13:21

Be intrigued no more, DD. It’s a well known solution - pardon the pun.

Cornersteady replied on 12/11/2022 14:03

Posted on 12/11/2022 13:21 by Tinwheeler

Be intrigued no more, DD. It’s a well known solution - pardon the pun.

Posted on 12/11/2022 14:03

I remember my mum telling me and (just checked) Mrs C's grandma telling her it's an effective combination.

From memory from school it's all about the vinegar reacting with the baking soda to release carbon dioxide that makes it so effective?

There's plenty of stuff from a simple google search to get the right optimal ratio of one to the other.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook