Undoing fittings on water housing

Purplelou replied on 09/03/2023 19:39

Posted on 09/03/2023 19:39

I have a 1998 Abi Dalesman and am looking to replace the water inlet housing. However we’re struggling to get the pipe fittings off. They appear to be push fittings and after looking on YouTube look like John Guest fittings. However the advice given on these videos is not working. We have lubricated and tried many different methods but no luck. 
These are black fittings and the ones in the video are grey so maybe an older version. They have probably never been removed since the caravan was manufactured. Anyone any ideas? I’ve attached a photo  

EmilysDad replied on 09/03/2023 21:19

Posted on 09/03/2023 21:19

I'd suggest the smaller black collar on the elbow is squeezed towards the elbow at the same time as you pull the fitting away from the filter ..... it'll need to be square to the pipe

wh1nbrew replied on 10/03/2023 18:43

Posted on 10/03/2023 18:43

I use an open ended spanner or an adjustable spanner just wide enough to clear the tubing to pull back the compressable ring.  This works well for me  - household plumbing and the van

dave the rave replied on 10/03/2023 18:58

Posted on 10/03/2023 18:58

First job would be to remove the blue caps which are a locking system!John Guest can supply a set of plastic tools for depressing the collar on the fitting whilst removing the pipe if you are unable to push it in manually.Looking at your photo I would suspect that the timber insert should be replaced while you have the unit removed.

The Ford Family replied on 11/03/2023 14:59

Posted on 11/03/2023 14:59

Hi we have a 2017 bailey autograph motorhome and I think the pump must air in, I am unable to get water coming through the taps after winterizing. Can anyone tell me where the pump is located please.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook