Towing to Somerset

Simon N77 replied on 21/07/2021 10:21

Posted on 21/07/2021 10:21

Hi All,

Newbie to posting on here, so please be kind! smile

Family holiday this weekend, and I'll be towing the van from Lincolnshire down to Somerset. It's been a few years since I've towed that kind of distance or on a motorway. Sat Nav / Google Maps suggests A14 / M6 / M42 / M5. I've done this journey previously just in the car, and I'm a little concerned about towing on the M5 - a few hills and lorries pulling you around etc. 

Should I look instead at avoiding the motorway? Alternatives for the M5 stretch, look to be the A38 - is this road suitable? All opinions welcome!

Thank you,

Simon

Tinwheeler replied on 21/07/2021 10:54

Posted on 21/07/2021 10:54

There's no difference between the M5 and any other motorway. The hills aren't steep and it's no problem as literally thousands of other caravanners will testify. The A38 takes you through every village and town en route and is a pain. The M5 was built to let you avoid use of the A38.

Good luck on the busiest weekend if the year. I suggest travelling in the early hours as it will be mayhem out there.

moulesy replied on 21/07/2021 11:03

Posted on 21/07/2021 11:03

Where exactly in Somerset are you heading, Simon?

There shouldn't be any problems of the kind you mention - the hills are certainly not the kind of roller coasters you get further on down into Devon & Cornwall and the lorries shouldn't add significantly to your problems. Sheer volume of traffic will be much more significant through most of the day.

But, as I say, if you let us know where you're heading we might be able to suggest possible alternatives.

Simon N77 replied on 21/07/2021 11:10

Posted on 21/07/2021 11:03 by moulesy

Where exactly in Somerset are you heading, Simon?

There shouldn't be any problems of the kind you mention - the hills are certainly not the kind of roller coasters you get further on down into Devon & Cornwall and the lorries shouldn't add significantly to your problems. Sheer volume of traffic will be much more significant through most of the day.

But, as I say, if you let us know where you're heading we might be able to suggest possible alternatives.

Posted on 21/07/2021 11:10

Thank you. We're staying near Brean, I think remember that being junction 22 where we would come off the M5.

Simon N77 replied on 21/07/2021 11:11

Posted on 21/07/2021 10:54 by Tinwheeler

There's no difference between the M5 and any other motorway. The hills aren't steep and it's no problem as literally thousands of other caravanners will testify. The A38 takes you through every village and town en route and is a pain. The M5 was built to let you avoid use of the A38.

Good luck on the busiest weekend if the year. I suggest travelling in the early hours as it will be mayhem out there.

Posted on 21/07/2021 11:11

Thanks - will need to be prepared for some hold-ups by the sounds of it!

moulesy replied on 21/07/2021 11:16

Posted on 21/07/2021 11:10 by Simon N77

Thank you. We're staying near Brean, I think remember that being junction 22 where we would come off the M5.

Posted on 21/07/2021 11:16

The motorway is probably your best bet, but be prepared for very heavy traffic around the Bristol area in particular during most daylight hours!

Have you considered breaking the journey and maybe stopping at a CL en route which might allow you a bit more flexibility in what times to travel?

Freddy55 replied on 21/07/2021 11:27

Posted on 21/07/2021 11:27

As pointed out, this coming weekend is going to be very busy. We travelled up the M5 last Saturday, and there was a very long queue heading south. According to traffic reports, it was adding an hour to journeys from Bristol to Taunton. It’s probably worth listening to traffic reports and have a plan B in place, but accessing the A38 will also be problematic. Good luck!

Simon N77 replied on 21/07/2021 11:42

Posted on 21/07/2021 11:16 by moulesy

The motorway is probably your best bet, but be prepared for very heavy traffic around the Bristol area in particular during most daylight hours!

Have you considered breaking the journey and maybe stopping at a CL en route which might allow you a bit more flexibility in what times to travel?

Posted on 21/07/2021 11:42

Thank you. We have flexibility to leave home on Friday - I think we'll end up staying at the Malvern Hills club site on the Friday evening - this will leave us about 90 miles left for the Saturday morning...by the sounds of it, if we left the site at 9am, hopefully we'll arrive by early afternoon. Can't wait to get away!

Simon N77 replied on 21/07/2021 11:43

Posted on 21/07/2021 11:27 by Freddy55

As pointed out, this coming weekend is going to be very busy. We travelled up the M5 last Saturday, and there was a very long queue heading south. According to traffic reports, it was adding an hour to journeys from Bristol to Taunton. It’s probably worth listening to traffic reports and have a plan B in place, but accessing the A38 will also be problematic. Good luck!

Posted on 21/07/2021 11:43

Thank you! smile Will set expectations with the family that we're in for the long haul!

brue replied on 21/07/2021 12:09

Posted on 21/07/2021 12:09

Avoid the A38 through Bristol it's likely to be very busy, an early start from your overnight stop is the best idea and maybe park up somewhere nearer to your destination if you are too early. Sedgemoor services are ok.

Because it will be busy on the M5 you'll probably find slow traffic flow and not too many problems with lorries etc. Most will be going at a much slower pace on the down hill run towards Weston. Have a lovely break the weather looks good!

moulesy replied on 21/07/2021 12:11

Posted on 21/07/2021 11:42 by Simon N77

Thank you. We have flexibility to leave home on Friday - I think we'll end up staying at the Malvern Hills club site on the Friday evening - this will leave us about 90 miles left for the Saturday morning...by the sounds of it, if we left the site at 9am, hopefully we'll arrive by early afternoon. Can't wait to get away!

Posted on 21/07/2021 12:11

As an alternative, have a look at Woodlands Farm CL, just of the M5 at J6. Nice site, EHU and toilet but no shower block. Good family friendly pub for food just down the road. And you might be able to make an earlier start from there, certainly be back on the motorway earlier. smile

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook