Towbar electric issue

adf replied on 14/07/2022 11:56

Posted on 14/07/2022 11:56

Just had a towbar fitted to discovery sport.  When reverse is selected it also permanently puts on caravan road lights until engine switched off. (Light switch no effect and neither coming out of reverse). Not had this issue with last 2 cars. First response is “is it a problem?” And “it tested ok”  “It’s plug and play so can’t see what I can do”. “Must be caravan.” They are going to look at testing car tomorrow.  Can’t see how it can be the caravan as surely it’s the car just sending power to the lights? I shouldn’t have to accept to live with a fault like this should I?

PJMEG replied on 14/07/2022 15:17

Posted on 14/07/2022 15:17

Hi Adf, 

Recently purchased a new Ford Kuga, had a detachable tow bar fitted all good then last weekend all set to go away, plugged in electrics and all the lights came on, like yourself light switch in car made no difference also my caravan indicators would not work, check all the pins and plug no joy.

Finally I rang the place where I had the tow bar fitted, he was very helpful and told me due to the wiring loom on modern cars it has a brain box and this required a reset drove car to his garage he did the reset and hey presto now all good.

Hope this might help. 👍

adf replied on 14/07/2022 15:51

Posted on 14/07/2022 15:17 by PJMEG

Hi Adf, 

Recently purchased a new Ford Kuga, had a detachable tow bar fitted all good then last weekend all set to go away, plugged in electrics and all the lights came on, like yourself light switch in car made no difference also my caravan indicators would not work, check all the pins and plug no joy.

Finally I rang the place where I had the tow bar fitted, he was very helpful and told me due to the wiring loom on modern cars it has a brain box and this required a reset drove car to his garage he did the reset and hey presto now all good.

Hope this might help. 👍

Posted on 14/07/2022 15:51

It’s a good job the garage was open for you to take it to. I wonder if recovery services can do the same?  I will see what happens tomorrow - hopefully a reset will do the same.  Meant to be going away, it would be possible, just have to restart engine after any reversing. Things are just too complicated these days.  It’s also difficult aa you’ve got the car dealer, the tow bar fitter and the caravan dealer all potentially relevant and whether someone needs to look at both car and caravan when hitched. 

adf replied on 14/07/2022 20:11

Posted on 14/07/2022 17:32 by PJMEG

Hi 

Yes I'm fortunate all close by, hope you get it sorted and enjoy your trip.

If possible pls post your outcome it may help me and others in future. 

Cheers Paul. 

Posted on 14/07/2022 20:11

Will do.  Was at the storage site tonight fitting a new breakaway cable and a really helpful chap let me plug his caravan in to my car and there was the same issue, so definitely not the caravan at fault.  

NutsyH replied on 15/07/2022 09:16

Posted on 15/07/2022 09:16

Also, don't let it spoil your trip. Its no big deal towing with the van sidelights on. Won't cause any damage.

adf replied on 15/07/2022 16:52

Posted on 15/07/2022 09:15 by NutsyH

I wonder if this is caused by the DRL's on your car - maybe the feed to them is also feeding your van lights? 

Posted on 15/07/2022 16:52

Actually this might be it.  It’s a new to me car and I wasn’t aware of DLR - to me that was a railway in London!! My last car was too old to have them Anyway my car has this front and rear and it’s suspected that this (probs my the rear) causes the road lights on the van to come on, what’s happening now is the towbar company is trying to get technical advice from Landrover if this is what’s intended to happening and also contacting previous discovery sport customers  to see what their caravan does.  I guess there’s no issue with them being on, aside from perhaps needing bulbs more frequently.  

adf replied on 15/07/2022 16:56

Posted on 15/07/2022 10:00 by RogerP1956

Please let us know how you get on, we rarely get to find out how a problem was solved!

Posted on 15/07/2022 16:56

I won’t.  I can see that having them on isn’t a problem. Just want to be sure it’s all working as intended, even if that’s different to what I had before. 

adf replied on 16/07/2022 15:35

Posted on 15/07/2022 16:56 by adf

I won’t.  I can see that having them on isn’t a problem. Just want to be sure it’s all working as intended, even if that’s different to what I had before. 

Posted on 16/07/2022 15:35

This is a reply to other post! 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook