Thule or Fiamma sun canopy?

Granstan replied on 27/05/2020 09:37

Posted on 27/05/2020 09:37

I want a sun canopy for my 2018 Hobby Excellent. I want one I can remove from the awning rail for winter storage.The choice seems to be Thule or Fiamma. Does anyone have opinions, advice they could share please?I have emailed a couple of sellers but alas, no reply. Probably Covid related. We are two 60 pluses, willing but not ever so strong! Thanks.

replied on 27/05/2020 11:08

Posted on 27/05/2020 11:08

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

SteveL replied on 27/05/2020 11:09

Posted on 27/05/2020 11:09

We had a Fiamma roll up type, that we used to remove in winter. Latterly I was finding it quite a strain rolling it. Although two of you can start, unless you have two steps, only one can reach for the final bit of attaching the Velcro and loop over restraints. Age, does not really come into it. It depends on how easy you find manipulating a weight at arms length. Height is probably more of a factor, as the taller you are the less you have to stretch. Our MH has a Fiamma wind out, which is much easier. I believe these can be fitted to caravans. However, they are more expensive and can't be removed in the winter.

brue replied on 27/05/2020 11:42

Posted on 27/05/2020 11:42

We have an integrated Thule which means it doesn't stick out from the side of the van when closed up. We occasionally find it hard to get at the wind out mechanism with the hooked pole but otherwise it's been good. A previous van had a side mounted wind out Fiamma, both have been fine. smile

KjellNN replied on 27/05/2020 15:46

Posted on 27/05/2020 15:46

Depends how big you want the awning, as in side to side.  We had a 3.6m Fiamma  and I could if necessary have rolled it up alone, but much easier with 2 people.

We are both short, so needed to carry an additional folding step to be able to reach up to the velcro straps and the zips.

Bigger than 3.6m I would certainly have struggled with the weight of.

obbernockle replied on 27/05/2020 21:29

Posted on 27/05/2020 13:36 by Granstan

Many thanks! I am looking at wind outs now!

Posted on 27/05/2020 21:29

Be careful as the wind out type are very heavy. A Fiamma or Thule Omnistor are about 13Kg for a 3,5/3,6M but a wind out of the same size may be more than 30Kg. We intend to buy one before next year but cannot get a decent discount at the moment, and I will not pay the full price. As we wont do much caravanning this year, we will bide our time.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook