Swift solar panel

dave the rave replied on 18/01/2023 20:46

Posted on 18/01/2023 20:46

I have a 2015 swift elegance which has a factory fitted Sargent solar panel.I have recently found that water is running into the van via the solar panel connecting cable.The cable from the panel enters the mounting through a gland approximately 1 inch above the roof so I have to assume that the water is entering via the bonding panel to mount or the bonding mount to roof.Inspection leads me to believe that the fault is most likely panel to mounting.....has anybody else had this problem?(Sargent say contact Swift!!!)

Tinwheeler replied on 18/01/2023 21:18

Posted on 18/01/2023 21:18

Sargent didn’t fit the SP so have no responsibility in this. You could try your Swift dealer but I think on an eight year old van you’d be better off just to pay someone to reseal the fitting or do it yourself.

dave the rave replied on 18/01/2023 21:49

Posted on 18/01/2023 21:18 by Tinwheeler

Sargent didn’t fit the SP so have no responsibility in this. You could try your Swift dealer but I think on an eight year old van you’d be better off just to pay someone to reseal the fitting or do it yourself.

Posted on 18/01/2023 21:49

I have every intention of sorting the problem myself (when the current weather improves) but before diving in I asked a question which,assuming there has been a similar problem,someone might point me in the right direction!It looks to me as if the panel is bonded to the mounting by the use of a tape sealant so a gentle warming would release the panel,however the mounting feet are bonded to the glassfibre roof sheet with Sikaflex which would require careful cutting with a very sharp metal scraper,fishing line or similar! so not easy!The reason I asked Sargent was because the panel is supplied as a kit to Swift they must issue an instruction leaflet which would have helped with the panel to mounting query.

Tinwheeler replied on 18/01/2023 22:08

Posted on 18/01/2023 22:08

Right-oh. It appeared to me that you’d sussed the cause and were looking for a fix from the supplier. Now you’ve explained fully, I see that’s not the case. 👍🏻

peedee replied on 19/01/2023 09:57

Posted on 19/01/2023 09:57

Have you got a picture to show, I am finding it a bit difficult to understand where your leak is occuring. The gland I have fitted looks like in the picture and can only leak if the seal between the bottom of the gland and the roof is broken or the rubber insert at the lead in point on the gland has perished.

peedee

dave the rave replied on 19/01/2023 10:07

Posted on 19/01/2023 09:57 by peedee

Have you got a picture to show, I am finding it a bit difficult to understand where your leak is occuring. The gland I have fitted looks like in the picture and can only leak if the seal between the bottom of the gland and the roof is broken or the rubber insert at the lead in point on the gland has perished.

peedee

Posted on 19/01/2023 10:07

Sorry,no picture due to current snow!The gland is of a similar type but actually is fitted into the "foot mounting" of the panel approx. 1" from the base/roof,so the cable from the panel goes through the gland and down through the foot to the hole in the roof.This means that the only leaks could be where the panel is mounted to the foot (which is the whole width of the panel) or a fault in the bonding of the foot to the roof sheet (which is not apparent)so I wish to remove the panel from it,s feet ,clean up and reseal.

dave the rave replied on 19/01/2023 14:19

Posted on 19/01/2023 10:15 by peedee

Thanks FO, reads as being rather a weird way to bring the cable into the van. Best of luck in sorting it.

peedee

Posted on 19/01/2023 14:19

It is actually a rather clever way to bring the cable in and if you have a look at the exploded diagram you will be better able to see.There is currently one pictured on ebay.

peedee replied on 19/01/2023 14:42

Posted on 19/01/2023 14:42

Yes the picture attached does explain it more. The only problem I would have with this type of installation is the hole into the van would have to be under the bracket holding the panel. That might not suit every van because it may restrict where you can more conveniently put the entry hole. It would certainly would have made life difficult on my van. Attached shows how I did it on my van.

peedee

dave the rave replied on 19/01/2023 17:38

Posted on 19/01/2023 14:42 by peedee

Yes the picture attached does explain it more. The only problem I would have with this type of installation is the hole into the van would have to be under the bracket holding the panel. That might not suit every van because it may restrict where you can more conveniently put the entry hole. It would certainly would have made life difficult on my van. Attached shows how I did it on my van.

peedee

Posted on 19/01/2023 17:38

As previous.....the panel is factory fitted.For information.....Swift bond the panel to it,s feet using Bostik STR360.A flexible  bond/sealant.As yet I have not found out how to safely break the bond to do a reseal!Watch this space!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook