Swift roof cracks

Bluemalaga replied on 10/05/2016 19:53

Posted on 10/05/2016 19:53

Hi just discoverd an issue with the roof of some Swift caravans and thought it would be something to share if not already known.

My daughter was advised by our dealer that there were cracks across the rear roof of her challanger sport Which then lets in water to the rear end.

having a similar aged van (2012), i checked with the dealer only to find that following the front end repairs for damp, that the rear end is now likely to crack.

The dealer informed us that there is a problem with the GRP mouldings around 2012 due to a different supplier of mouldings (cheaper perhaps)

We were offered a fix at next service, but prefer not to wait until there is more damp to rectify.

Now waiting a date for the bonding of strengthening moldings.

MrGarval replied on 10/05/2016 19:58

Posted on 10/05/2016 19:58

I have heard of this problem and also witnessed a front end crack on a van arriving on site. The owner was informed by his supplying dealer that it is a 'known problem' and all would be taken care of on his return home.

Would be wise of owners of this make van to keep a careful eye out!!

Bluemalaga replied on 10/05/2016 20:04

Posted on 10/05/2016 20:04

I have heard of this problem and also witnessed a front end crack on a van arriving on site. The owner was informed by his supplying dealer that it is a 'known problem' and all would be taken care of on his return home.

Would be wise of owners of this make van to keep a careful eye out!!

Write your comments here...I would suggest contacting your dealer or Swift who can tell by your vin number and arrange the repair before the roof cracks and lets in water. It involves a couple of moldings bonded to the roof, takes a couple of days if moldings are in stock at the dealer.

Gemini2 replied on 11/05/2016 21:54

Posted on 11/05/2016 21:54

Took my 2012 Sterling Eccles in for its annual service in April and it has a crack at the top right rear corner.  Dealer has applied for authorisation for repairs under warranty and like the above post said "it is a known problem". 

Chestrefeldian replied on 19/05/2016 22:53

Posted on 19/05/2016 22:53

Our dealer applied the additional caps at our 2014 Challenger's first service foc. at my request. Earlier this week  I asked Swift on Swift Talk if there had been any issues following the application of caps and their technical director reports no further issues. That'll do for me. BTW if you didn't know what to look for you wouldn;t know the caps were additions. I believe that some are having the whole ABS panels replaced by GRP under warranty where cracks have already shown.

Bluemalaga replied on 24/05/2016 19:06

Posted on 24/05/2016 19:06

Our van has been repaired under warranty, but although this is a structural issue with some panels,Swift have declined to repair my daughters van under warranty as she missed her last service before the problem was found at her revised service date. We are not likely to purchase two more Swifts if they do not meet their warranties. The issue is clearly not service related, so should be repaired under the 10 year water ingress warranty. 

IanH replied on 24/05/2016 20:04

Posted on 24/05/2016 20:04

Agree BM......that seems to be Swift hiding behind small print tthat has nothing to do with the faulty construction.

Wildwood replied on 25/05/2016 21:17

Posted on 25/05/2016 21:17

Our van has been repaired under warranty, but although this is a structural issue with some panels,Swift have declined to repair my daughters van under warranty as she missed her last service before the problem was found at her revised service date. We are not likely to purchase two more Swifts if they do not meet their warranties. The issue is clearly not service related, so should be repaired under the 10 year water ingress warranty. 

I am assuming the caravan is less than six years old. If so as this is a known problem it should be accepted that it is faulty. You therefore need to go back to the dealer and tell them that they are liable under The Sale of Goods Act. I suspect they know but will not admit it it. If they will not repair it you need to establish the cost of the repair and issue a small claims summons against them. If you paid any part on a credit card or used Hp then you also have a claim against the finance company and need to put a claim into them.

You can get more detailed advice from the clubs legal helpline who are very familiar with this type of problem.

whisky man replied on 16/11/2016 20:14

Posted on 16/11/2016 20:14

have 2008 challenger roof repaired 2013 just checked cracked again this fault has been around a lot longer than 2012

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook