Solar panels

Joiner8 replied on 15/12/2020 10:09

Posted on 15/12/2020 10:09

I'm looking for some advice on solar panels to connect to my 100amp leisure battery while in storage just to trickle charge the battery 

SeasideBill replied on 15/12/2020 10:41

Posted on 15/12/2020 10:09 by Joiner8

I'm looking for some advice on solar panels to connect to my 100amp leisure battery while in storage just to trickle charge the battery 

Posted on 15/12/2020 10:41

If it’s just a temporary requirement, you could get a portable solar panel and prop it up behind the window. The panel will lose efficiency located behind glass/perspex but you only need a small output to trickle charge and maintain the leisure battery via a solar charge controller. Make sure you get the optimal position relative to sun location & angle. The more powerful the solar panel the better it will all work, but I’d go for at least 30w, but 50w would be better.

JVB66 replied on 15/12/2020 11:08

Posted on 15/12/2020 11:08

We use a small portable solar panel  (from Aldi) to keep our car battery topped up , it has worked so far this year with car not used for weeks sometimes ,lay in on the Dashboard

Rufs replied on 15/12/2020 14:07

Posted on 15/12/2020 14:07

If it’s just a temporary requirement, you could get a portable solar panel and prop it up behind the window

Not that i have a problem SB as caravan kept at home on EHU, but is there not a danger of the solar panel overheating particularly if used during the summer months ???

SeasideBill replied on 15/12/2020 14:54

Posted on 15/12/2020 14:07 by Rufs

If it’s just a temporary requirement, you could get a portable solar panel and prop it up behind the window

Not that i have a problem SB as caravan kept at home on EHU, but is there not a danger of the solar panel overheating particularly if used during the summer months ???

Posted on 15/12/2020 14:54

I think the risk of panels overheating and becoming a fire hazard is extremely low, but they certainly become less efficient in very hot conditions. Probably a greater chance of the controller overheating and all of us with solar panels will have one of them fitted without drama,

cyberyacht replied on 15/12/2020 16:15

Posted on 15/12/2020 16:15

If all you are using is a small portable panel to trickle the battery, then provided you stay under 30W you shouldn't need a controller. Start getting up to the bigger sizes then a controller becomes necessary to manage the voltage so you don't fry the battery.

SeasideBill replied on 15/12/2020 17:54

Posted on 15/12/2020 16:15 by cyberyacht

If all you are using is a small portable panel to trickle the battery, then provided you stay under 30W you shouldn't need a controller. Start getting up to the bigger sizes then a controller becomes necessary to manage the voltage so you don't fry the battery.

Posted on 15/12/2020 17:54

Yes, but 30w will probably only deliver 15w behind glass and probably less in gloomy winter conditions if not in direct sunlight. Probably ok if mounted outside tho’.

Phishing replied on 15/12/2020 19:58

Posted on 15/12/2020 19:58

Previously had a 30w propped up in the front window with a decent controller. Kept the battery charged all winter no issues. 

Keep the panel as close to the controller as you can and use good size cable to the battery, 2.00mm2. 

Pointing south is best but not necessary as long as you get some sun directly on it. 

When you leave the van make sure you turn the fridge to off, the master is off, and the TV antenna is off. You only need a tiny charge to keep the battery healthy.

Mr H replied on 18/01/2021 13:58

Posted on 18/01/2021 13:58

I have recently bought a folding 100w and put it in my front window and it is working fine. The controller is maintaining the charge perfectly. This is with the winter weather. I previously tried a 27w without a controller and it was not sufficient, even though everything other than the alarm (non tracking) was switched off and the panel faces south. One thing I did change was the connection to the controller. This came with a long lead attached to it with its other end being plugged into a lead with crocodile clips to attach to the the battery. To speed the set up I replaced the long lead with the short one with crocodile clips removed. This allowed me to connect the long lead permanently to the battery and pass it under the bed to where the solar panel is located. Setting up now means simply positioning the solar panel and a simple connection to the battery lead.All done from inside the caravan.

Wolfie1 replied on 21/01/2021 22:09

Posted on 21/01/2021 22:09

I use a 50w solar panel with controller attached to my shed roof that is connected to 1 of my cars, it has enough power to keep the battery topped up for months on end with the alarm activated, i have had this set up for years without an issue

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook