Solar panel : how to maximise benefit

DocFoz replied on 28/06/2020 08:45

Posted on 28/06/2020 08:45

Can people let me know what are the advantages of a solar panel  and when to use it. Have bought a caravan with one fixed and just needs some tips. Thanks 🙏 

Bakers2 replied on 28/06/2020 09:00

Posted on 28/06/2020 09:00

There is a thread on here, how to thrive without EHU, started by Merve, who seems to be able to do everything!

I'll try to find it and post the link.

EDIT as usual Google brings it up top of the list, whilst this search facility returns 111 items and it's not on the first page 😱

It's a long read so settle yourself comfortably and I'm sure you'll be enlightened 😉. THRIVE WITHOUT EHU 

peedee replied on 28/06/2020 09:12

Posted on 28/06/2020 09:12

The most use my panel gets is while the motorhome is not in use, i.e. it is keeping the batteries charged when the LV is not in use. This is essential if you have an alarm system fitted which will slowly run down a battery. It also keeps the batteries in much better condition and prolongs their life as they are not continually being charged and discharged.

A solar panel also increases the chocies of where you can go,.You do not always have to have or use an electric hookup so It does not have to be a full facilicty site. Very useful if you want to use temporary holiday sites, go to rallies or attend many of the shows/events which do not supply EHU.

peedee

ocsid replied on 28/06/2020 09:26

Posted on 28/06/2020 08:45 by DocFoz

Can people let me know what are the advantages of a solar panel  and when to use it. Have bought a caravan with one fixed and just needs some tips. Thanks 🙏 

Posted on 28/06/2020 09:26

Having it fixed on the roof rather precludes the biggest optimisation tip, of facing it to the sun!

That said it being flat makes a good location for the bulk of the summer, its not badly aligned through the day, given it is fixed.

Very important are the affects of shading be that thrown shadows, wet leaves stuck on it, even flies and general grime. So keep it clean and site up in the open so tree shadows don't rob the better sun times.

The controller of choice can make a difference, but see how you fare with whatever is there first.

Oneputt replied on 28/06/2020 09:30

Posted on 28/06/2020 09:30

I mostly use mine when abroad to avoid paying additional electrical charges.  I can run all of my 12v stuff during the day.  Run fridge and hot water on gas (refillable).  Am thinking of upgrading my system with another panel and an inverter to allow some 240v access.  Basically if you have the money the sky’s the limit.  

You could join the CAMOGG group on Facebook for lots of info

Johnny57 replied on 28/06/2020 14:39

Posted on 28/06/2020 14:39

For those who are thinking of Off-Grid sites and using solar how about joining this Facebook group, now over 8000 members 
A friendly group to bring together off-grid tourers, site owners and other interested parties to share their knowledge, experiences, recommendations and to help those who wish to know more about the Off-Grid experience

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook