Solar charging... Can I disconnect the battery

Psmiffy replied on 29/01/2023 14:19

Posted on 29/01/2023 14:19

I've recently purchased a van with a 10 amp solar panel on the roof and it seems to be doing its job of keeping the battery topped up. My question is...if I wanted to disconnect the battery for any reason, can I just do it as long as I don't short the neg/pos leads together. If the panel is generating power but it has nowhere to go (ie no battery) would that a problem?  I've looked at the manual online but it doesn't seem to cover the question. Your thoughts folks? Cheers.                                                                                      Paul 

Psmiffy replied on 29/01/2023 17:27

Posted on 29/01/2023 17:27

Thanks for getting back.The thing I dont get, and it may be just me, is if I disconnect the panel from the control box the disconnected wires will I assume, still be producing power from the panel, with nowhere to go. I do get the throw a cover over the panel bit though. I was thinking of bringing the battery home when the van is in storage, as a backup in case of power outages over winter.I suppose I would have to make a fixed lightproof cover that wouldn't blow away.

replied on 29/01/2023 17:48

Posted on 29/01/2023 17:48

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Cornersteady replied on 29/01/2023 18:32

Posted on 29/01/2023 17:27 by Psmiffy

Thanks for getting back.The thing I dont get, and it may be just me, is if I disconnect the panel from the control box the disconnected wires will I assume, still be producing power from the panel, with nowhere to go. I do get the throw a cover over the panel bit though. I was thinking of bringing the battery home when the van is in storage, as a backup in case of power outages over winter.I suppose I would have to make a fixed lightproof cover that wouldn't blow away.

Posted on 29/01/2023 18:32

If the SP is not connected, that is there is no circuit then it cannot 'generate' any electricity, All a SP does is convert photons into electrons, if there is no circuit those electrons cannot 'flow' or transfer their charge and hence no electricity.

Those electrons will stay there and all that will happen is that the SP will have a increase in temperature by a few degrees if that before this heat is given to the air at some point sooner or later (and funnily enough it will get 'heavier') but this would also happen when it's in use and is nothing to worry about at all, or if it does for you cover it.

cyberyacht replied on 30/01/2023 10:00

Psmiffy replied on 31/01/2023 11:16

Posted on 31/01/2023 11:16

Thanks for the detailed replies, looks like I was worrying  unnecesserily, but better safe than sorry. I had the idea that it would go into meltdown like a runaway power station. Thanks again. 

birdseye replied on 02/02/2023 16:09

Posted on 02/02/2023 16:09

Please help!

Is there any reason NOT to install a solar panel across the roof of my caravan( Left to Right), most I see are along the roof front to back!  I am replacing a delaminated flexible one with a rigid framed one, across would allow me to fit a bigger panel.

peedee replied on 03/02/2023 07:04

Posted on 02/02/2023 16:09 by birdseye

Please help!

Is there any reason NOT to install a solar panel across the roof of my caravan( Left to Right), most I see are along the roof front to back!  I am replacing a delaminated flexible one with a rigid framed one, across would allow me to fit a bigger panel.

Posted on 03/02/2023 07:04

No reason at all, go for it.

peedee

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook