Small Smart TV Recommendations

imagegrill replied on 22/02/2022 13:58

Posted on 22/02/2022 13:58

I am after some help in my search :-)
We have a small caravan (see profile pic) and as such not a lot of space for a TV. In fact we have been using our laptops and Wifi (or mobile signal) to watch TV. It works but is not so intuitive so we wish to have a proper TV set up. It will also help with listening to the radio as we do not have one installed either (2nd hand caravan, original owners clearly not specified one). 

We do have a TV antenna, so getting a signal is easy enough. I have considered a USB dongle to connect to a laptop - but they have always been flaky in the past and I don't need more technology to 'fight' with!

There are mounting holes in the only place a TV can go, so a previous owner has had a TV on a bracket set up. 

The issue I am facing is all smart TVs seem to be 24" and above. This is way too big. It seems there may not be a smart TV smaller.
By smart I mean something that has apps installed for iPlayer, Netflix, Prime Movies, Spotify etc. All TVs come with Freeview these days so live TV would be sorted.

An alternative you be to get a smaller TV and an Amazon Fire Stick for the smart features.

Any recommendation on small TVs (less than 20") please.

Thanks,

Paul

DavidKlyne replied on 22/02/2022 15:29

Posted on 22/02/2022 15:29

Paul

I think your problem might be finding a sub 24 inch TV which is also designated as Smart? Cello do some small TV's , down to 16 inch but not sure if they are Smart.

David

tonycv replied on 22/02/2022 15:39

Posted on 22/02/2022 15:39

Not sure there are any that are smart TVs with  a decent range of apps :-

- for smart TV part suggest a roku stick or chromecast tv, both have marginally more app coverage than fire stick. We use a roku in our motorhome, as the smart apps on our smallish Sony has only limited apps

- for the TV itself its either cheap and basic, or something like an Avtex or Cello which will run off 12v as well and has other good features but no smart apps to my knowledge, although the in built dvd player is a bit wasted these days IMHO

- a computer monitor could be used with a freeview box e.g. a now TV with freeview (2nd hand from cex), but the freeview boxes are typically larger that a stick and the monitor speakers are not usually that good

Edit - I'm assuming you couldn't pack the TV away and put it on table or worktop on site (what we do in our motorhome) and therefore get a bigger TV? 

JillwithaJay replied on 22/02/2022 16:53

Posted on 22/02/2022 16:53

I can't offer anything positive regarding smart televisions but ours is a Tesco's own 22 inch but is always put away in the back of the wardrobe during the daytime and for travelling.  I'm not a huge television fan so I just don't want it taking up room during the day. 

richardandros replied on 23/02/2022 14:10

Posted on 23/02/2022 14:10

Our 24" Avtex isn't 'smart' (it's a Series 7), but I have cured that with a Firestick - don't know it's there - just plugs into the back of the set and takes power from one of the USB slots.

As for Chromecast - that was my first port of call and it was rubbish - what a messing about trying to cast from your phone and it didn't work half of the time.  The Firestick is seamless and operating our previously non-smart caravan TV is just as easy as the big smart set at home.

imagegrill replied on 23/02/2022 19:04

Posted on 23/02/2022 19:04

Thanks all. Smart is not available sub 24", indeed the choice of TVs below 24" is limited to say the least.

Would like to go with a 14" Cello, but they are not wall mountable - only the 12" is. That may well have to do. Cheap enough on Amazon so will give it a go. 
Will debate on the Roku/ Fire TV stick with the better half :-)

Sometimes keeping the 'smart' part separate from the TV is not so bad as many manufacturers don't update in a timely manner (if at all). A relatively cheap stick is easy enough to upgrade once in a while.

eribaMotters replied on 23/02/2022 19:29

Posted on 23/02/2022 19:29

I've just checked Avtex as they have gone in and out of smaller TV's. 24" is the smallest, but I noticed this:-

"The ultra-compact sleek design of the Avtex W249TS provides all the benefits of a 24” screen but with the external dimensions attributed to a 21” model."

https://www.avtex.co.uk/l320trs/w249ts

Colin

ABM replied on 24/02/2022 08:57

Posted on 24/02/2022 08:57

Perhaps a browse through the ad for the caravan, moho  etc show would bring a few ideas for following up ??

cyberyacht replied on 24/02/2022 19:37

Posted on 24/02/2022 19:37

I've got a 16" non-smart 12v/240v from my previous motorhome, a Falcon Traveller I think it's called. They advertise in the club magazine. I'm based just outside Portsmouth, if you are interested.

Trini replied on 26/02/2022 15:19

Posted on 26/02/2022 15:19

We use an Amazon Fire stick to make our Avtex into a Smart if you do find a tv of the size you want.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook