Side levelling of caravan on driveway

AndyJF replied on 30/07/2023 22:50

Posted on 30/07/2023 22:50

Hi. We are wanting to move house, but the new place has a bit of a sloping driveway. We intend to position the caravan sideways (parallel to front of house), where the slope is less. But I think one side will need raising to make it level.

What is the best way of doing this? I've seen various levelling ramps, and Milenco do an aluminium device that fastens around the the wheel, then you jack it up.

Or maybe use a traditional jack, but that would need fitting to the frame, and probably wouldn't be recommended to use on a sloping drive anyway.

What do you think is best to do sideways levelling of the caravan in this situation?

KjellNN replied on 30/07/2023 23:16

Posted on 30/07/2023 23:16

I would use a plank, even two planks if necessary, cut the ends at an angle so the wheels can easily run up onto them.  We carry a couple of bits of decking for sideways levelling on pitches.

Our driveway slopes in 2 directions, a 10% slope up from the street, and  then sideways it follows the slope of the street itself, sloping down from left to right as viewed from the street.  The van goes on the right hand side, hitch first, then I have made a couple of ramps that it rolls back onto to help keep it a bit more level, the right one being a bit higher than the left one.

This gives the wheels a level surface to sit on, which allows me to safely jack it up to fit the AlKo locks (twin axle).

The rear steadies need to have  wooden blocks under them, and the nose is as far down as possible, but the van still has a bit of a slope, which is disconcerting when inside it!

AndyJF replied on 30/07/2023 23:41

Posted on 30/07/2023 23:41

I did wonder about the suitability of these plastic ramps long term. Because it seems to me that the tyre would naturally have more pressure on one side, due to the top of the ramp being not level (sideways). Ideally you'd want the bottom of the ramp to be sloping. I hope you see what I mean. No product is built in this way. I would think that these ramps are ok short term, but I would worry that I was causing damage to the tyre if used long term.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook