Should I avoid buying an Adria Adiva 552LT

JayandJo replied on 07/06/2021 15:30

Posted on 07/06/2021 15:30

Hi all, 

This is my first post and a vital one at that. We have not had a caravan for over 12 years now and are getting back into it now the kids have all grown up. We have been looking at all sorts and like the swift challengers, but they sell so fast. We have found a gorgeous 2010 Adria Adiva 552LT in immacuate condition, with service history and is very quirky in design.  It is £9500.

Can ayone shed any light on this model van as to whether we should buy or avoid.

I am thinking resale value in a year or two when we upgrade. Do non British caravans sell ok?

i can not find ANY for sale, or that have sold. there is very little info online about them. All i found out was that this model was made for one year only, it was a totally redesign and probably not your average lay out, which may have flopped, hence why they stopped making it. We personally love the layout, build quality and design.

Dave Nicholson replied on 07/06/2021 16:01

Posted on 07/06/2021 16:01

The layout is typical of caravans designed for the German market where they tend to use a fixed awning for living space. If the layout suits you then go for it. Adria are a respected manufacturer of quality and robust caravans and motorhomes. We’ve had 2 Adria motorhomes from new and had zero problems with either of them, unlike many of our friends who’ve had untold problems with UK manufactured leisure vehicles. The Adria layout you’ve seen may nor suit everyone but i don’t think you’ll be disappointed in the vehicles quality.

JayandJo replied on 07/06/2021 16:29

Posted on 07/06/2021 16:01 by Dave Nicholson

The layout is typical of caravans designed for the German market where they tend to use a fixed awning for living space. If the layout suits you then go for it. Adria are a respected manufacturer of quality and robust caravans and motorhomes. We’ve had 2 Adria motorhomes from new and had zero problems with either of them, unlike many of our friends who’ve had untold problems with UK manufactured leisure vehicles. The Adria layout you’ve seen may nor suit everyone but i don’t think you’ll be disappointed in the vehicles quality.

Posted on 07/06/2021 16:29

Thanks Dave, thats good to hear.

Yes after viewing lots of other manufacturers, we did notice alot of doors sagging, trim peeling, flimsey walls etc. Even on 2018 vans!! Then when we viewed this Adria we noticed the difference immidiately. Solid, and we tried every door and drawer, no problems found

We love the layout and the individuality of it, never seen a caravan interior like it. The green cusions are going though wink

Tinwheeler replied on 07/06/2021 16:53

Posted on 07/06/2021 16:53

It’s a 'marmite' layout really but, if it’s for you, then why not?

Personally, I’d be more interested in the soundness of the structure than peeling trim which can easily be replaced. The other consideration will be its weight as it’ll likely be a heftier lump to tow than the Swifts.

Hope your return to vanning works well for you, whatever van you opt for.

JayandJo replied on 07/06/2021 17:27

Posted on 07/06/2021 16:53 by Tinwheeler

It’s a 'marmite' layout really but, if it’s for you, then why not?

Personally, I’d be more interested in the soundness of the structure than peeling trim which can easily be replaced. The other consideration will be its weight as it’ll likely be a heftier lump to tow than the Swifts.

Hope your return to vanning works well for you, whatever van you opt for.

Posted on 07/06/2021 17:27

Thanks for your input. I think I agree, it is marmite

1. I was referring to the wear and tear of the general use of a van, one of which we viewed was a 2018, a 3 year old van surely shouldnt have sagging doors and peeling trim already, i was quite shocked. Whereas this 2010 Adria was solid

The weight is not too bad for such a big van, 7.43m and only 1200kg MRO and 1500kg MTPLM which i was very suprised about.

Its come to the point now that i am just eager to get out on the road again, looking forward to itsmile

JVB66 replied on 07/06/2021 22:07

Posted on 07/06/2021 17:27 by JayandJo

Thanks for your input. I think I agree, it is marmite

1. I was referring to the wear and tear of the general use of a van, one of which we viewed was a 2018, a 3 year old van surely shouldnt have sagging doors and peeling trim already, i was quite shocked. Whereas this 2010 Adria was solid

The weight is not too bad for such a big van, 7.43m and only 1200kg MRO and 1500kg MTPLM which i was very suprised about.

Its come to the point now that i am just eager to get out on the road again, looking forward to itsmile

Posted on 07/06/2021 22:07

I think that many c/vans these days are used very much more than in the past as they are now very well insulated for all year round use 

Even used as full time accommodation more as for some it is cheaper than bricks and morter, 

Where as in the past LVs were put to bed in Sep/Oct  to be not used again until warmer weather the following year

ScreenName0089874B85 replied on 23/04/2023 08:16

Posted on 08/06/2021 16:46 by JayandJo

Has anyone on here got an Adiva 552???

Posted on 23/04/2023 08:16

Agree with most of the replies given, I bought a new Bailey which had to be returned the next day for non shutting doors, out of alignment cupboards and generally poor workmanship. Been encouraged to look at European models including the Adria range, finally plumped for the Adiva 552LT. The initial viewing was good, but on getting the caravan home, I went through every cupboard, every window was opened, with every window catch working perfect. The overall condition of a 10 year old plus caravan was really pleasing, wishing I had bought one beforehand. yes its quirky, yes it's marmite, but the build quality is a big thumbs up.

richardandros replied on 23/04/2023 14:41

Posted on 23/04/2023 14:41

I think you're making the right decision.  We have a Knaus Starclass 695 - not an Adria, I know - but it shares the same 'quality feel' that you have noticed with the Adria.  The model (full UK spec with door on the 'correct' side') was only made for 3 years - whether that was down to Brexit or cost / demand, I don't know.

We have used it, every month, all year round for the last 4 and a half years and it still looks like new.  Although we have had some problems, they have all been in respect of third party equipment and the structure and fittings in the van are still as good as the day it came out of the factory.  Nothing has dropped off, or looks worn and despite the fact that it's totally 'over-engineered. in terms of hinges, fittings etc, it's still 10kg lighter (MIRO) than our previous Bailey. It has a sensible payload and most importantly, the damp readings at all its services have been around the 5% mark (in November).

It may be me, but I feel that continental vans tend to have more of a 'timeless elegance' about them instead of the annual change of decals and bling that UK manufacturers seem to insist on - and which rapidly dates them.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook