Scotland 500

replied on 27/03/2021 13:06

Posted on 27/03/2021 13:06

Hi everyone

There was an excellent article in the club magazine recently about the Scotland 500. We wish to do this and it recommended taking 3 weeks which is fine. From the article and a few posts I note that some of the route is not advisable for a caravan.

My question is has anyone done this (either clockwise or anticlockwise) and have a stress free caravan friendly route to get us around this beautiful route please?

Any other hints and tips are always welcome too.

We much prefer small CL sites.

Thanks in anticipation!

Fisherman replied on 24/06/2021 16:43

Posted on 24/06/2021 16:43

Anyone considering this route coming from say Middle England or further  need to consider a few basic things

1) the whole trip will be upwards of 2000 miles.

2) Factor in getting to say Inverness to start the 500

3) your average travel speed will be 20/25 mph excluding stops.

4) Sites are not that frequent.

5) Keep your fuel tank topped up especially at supermarket prices as other outlets will be extremely pricy.

6)The natives will no longer be that welcoming

7) Midges will be a problem from early June to October.

8) Timber lorries, motorcyclists and other towers will be your biggest hindrance.

9) Dont even contemplate towing up to Applecross or in my opinion trying it with a M/H. You will have a lot of reversing on very steep road.

10) Take your time and dont be put off!

brian7483 replied on 25/06/2021 16:33

Posted on 25/06/2021 16:33

We have just returned from the NC500 last week (17/6/21). Don't believe the mileage. We took seven weeks from the beginning of May and travelled just over 1800 miles from the North East of England. Some beautiful places to visit especially in the area of Eileen Donan Castle and Isle of Skye area, including Plockton Village. Alas, we admitted defeat in the second week of June when the midges appeared in vast numbers. My wife turned out to be very sensitive to the little blighters and we were forced to return home ten days before we were due. Nevertheless, we enjoyed our holidays and weren't put off by some of the narrow roads. Just take your time and let others pass when you have the opportunity. We stayed on a mixture of both Club sites and CL,s for four or five days at a time.

Fisherman replied on 26/06/2021 13:17

Posted on 26/06/2021 13:17

Brian- how does my 10 suggestions above look to you who has just recently done it. As an aside did you by any chance turn off at Laide to Mellon Udrigle. Superb beach with simple (CL type) site. Also excellent long distance walking/fly fishing on the peninsular

ABM replied on 26/06/2021 16:04

Posted on 26/06/2021 16:04

BUSTER DERRY,

If you tab down to the bottom of this page on UK Sites and Touring, click on  PAGE THREE  ~~ there you will find a longer thread under the same title.  I think that should/could/would answer most of your questions over a much longer period { Well its not changed That much up north  wink !!  }  

I have a Ducato camper & just love it thereabouts  cool

mickysf replied on 26/06/2021 16:28

Posted on 26/06/2021 16:28

I have taken 7m motorhomes over the Pass of the Cattle to Applecross on several occasions without hinderance. Just pick your time of day and take it slowly and be courteous to other road users. It’s beautiful up there and well worth it.   For those towing small cars just unhitch at the bottom and get your partner to drive solo that last few miles into Applecross. Of course that’s if they drive too!

nelliethehooker replied on 26/06/2021 20:33

Posted on 26/06/2021 16:28 by mickysf

I have taken 7m motorhomes over the Pass of the Cattle to Applecross on several occasions without hinderance. Just pick your time of day and take it slowly and be courteous to other road users. It’s beautiful up there and well worth it.   For those towing small cars just unhitch at the bottom and get your partner to drive solo that last few miles into Applecross. Of course that’s if they drive too!

Posted on 26/06/2021 20:33

Of you could drive it up to the top of the pass yourself, leaving OH with the M/H, park up and then walk back down to collect your van, drive back up, hitch up again and descend in tandem to Applecross. Simples😁

ABM replied on 26/06/2021 21:33

Posted on 26/06/2021 21:33

Nellie,  Really,  that's a heck of a way to get the prescribed number / allowance of Daily Steps in  surprised

nelliethehooker replied on 26/06/2021 21:54

Posted on 26/06/2021 21:33 by ABM

Nellie,  Really,  that's a heck of a way to get the prescribed number / allowance of Daily Steps in  surprised

Posted on 26/06/2021 21:54

'Tis one way of doing it anyway. It's very hard to accomplish if one spends all day just driving around without getting out occasionally for a decent walk.

Fisherman replied on 27/06/2021 10:58

Posted on 27/06/2021 10:58

The irony is, you dont have to take the pass. Its a nicer, scenic route to go in from  Shieldaig, with wonderful views over Raasay, Sky and the Outer Hebridies, Easier on the driver and the vehicle.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook