Sat Navs for caravan units including in Europe

JayVeeYork replied on 17/09/2018 16:53

Posted on 17/09/2018 16:53

Hi

Can anyone recommend a reliable sat nav system when towing, especially in Europe (we got hopelessly lost trying to follow the (limited) options in our VW Tiguan built in satnav)?

Tammygirl replied on 17/09/2018 20:16

Posted on 17/09/2018 20:16

We have recently bought an Aguri, currently in France and ok so far. Has built in dashcam, you can put the size of your outfit into the settings, has both the main uk club sites listed +lots of other features.

JayVeeYork replied on 18/09/2018 07:01

Posted on 18/09/2018 07:01

Great, thanks for the info.  Funnily enough I’ve just opened the latest Club magazine and it opened at a page with the Avtex Tourer One Plus nav system which also has a dash cam so I’ll do a bit of research on that.

in France we found some of the roads in Normandy (out in the sticks) were narrow and winding and not really suitable for an outfit although ok in just the car.  I’m quite nervous about the towing part of our hols and want to lessen the chances of meeting up with large tractors and having to try to reverse! 

Cheers.

DavidKlyne replied on 18/09/2018 10:27

Posted on 18/09/2018 10:27

Over the years I have owned four stand alone sat navs, two Garmin for short periods and two TomTom's. Much preferred the TomTom as they have proved much more reliable in avoiding difficult routes. If I were to buy again, which I am in the process of thinking about, it would be another TomTom. I have added the Camper maps to my current device but this is not so easy on their more modern versions but they do sell a dedicated Camper version which currently is a bit expensive but it will get cheaper. The idea of having a built in dash cam is attractive as it get rid of the clutter of two devices. However if you are thinking of venturing as far as Austria in the future I have heard that they are in the process of banning dash cams for some reason!

David

greylag replied on 19/09/2018 07:21

Posted on 19/09/2018 07:21

My TomTom has started to play up, touching the screen will throw up random letters, trying to remove these letters and it just adds more.

I am dithering about which brand to go with for the replacement.

Rufs replied on 20/09/2018 10:44

Posted on 20/09/2018 10:44

I have been using Snooper for a number of years now, it has the capability of putting in the dimensions of your caravan etc. The early models did have some design flaws and I am on my 3rd device, fortunately replacements have been made either under guarantee or as a good will gesture, and fortunately the design flaws that seemed to be the root of most failures seem to have been addressed. The C&MHC did promote this product but this role has been taken over by the C&CC. The latest version I took delivery of a couple of months back came with all the C&MHC sites, all the C&CC sites, Archies POI's plus several others so very comprehensive. I have used it extensively in Spain and the UK and it has proved very efficient. Does not have built in dash came, but as somebody else pointed out previously, is this a good idea?, if the dash came fails and you have to send away for repair etc you could be without satnav, each to their own, but I am impressed with my latest Snooper.  

JayVeeYork replied on 02/10/2018 07:51

Posted on 02/10/2018 07:51

Thanks everyone, I’ll look into your suggestions (my problem is that our satnav is built into our car (VW Tiguan) and my hubby (the driver!) is reluctant to have another as it will clutter up the dash!).  I wonder whether any other Tig owners have had problems.

Tammygirl replied on 02/10/2018 10:44

Posted on 18/09/2018 10:27 by DavidKlyne

Over the years I have owned four stand alone sat navs, two Garmin for short periods and two TomTom's. Much preferred the TomTom as they have proved much more reliable in avoiding difficult routes. If I were to buy again, which I am in the process of thinking about, it would be another TomTom. I have added the Camper maps to my current device but this is not so easy on their more modern versions but they do sell a dedicated Camper version which currently is a bit expensive but it will get cheaper. The idea of having a built in dash cam is attractive as it get rid of the clutter of two devices. However if you are thinking of venturing as far as Austria in the future I have heard that they are in the process of banning dash cams for some reason!

David

Posted on 02/10/2018 10:44

1. David, dashcam can be turned off independently to sat nav so should be ok.

Tammygirl replied on 02/10/2018 10:52

Posted on 02/10/2018 07:51 by JayVeeYork

Thanks everyone, I’ll look into your suggestions (my problem is that our satnav is built into our car (VW Tiguan) and my hubby (the driver!) is reluctant to have another as it will clutter up the dash!).  I wonder whether any other Tig owners have had problems.

Posted on 02/10/2018 10:52

We have the same issue as our Ford Kuga comes with in built satnav, pretty rubbish I might add. OH has had to fit the Aguri to the windscreen, doesn't block his view.

Rufs, if dashcam failed then its no big problem, we would send it away to be fixed at a time when we would not be using the caravan. As said up thread it comes with everything loaded like the Snooper.

richardandros replied on 02/10/2018 14:45

Posted on 02/10/2018 07:51 by JayVeeYork

Posted on 02/10/2018 14:45

Not a Tig, but a Touareg and I have had no end of problems with my built-in unit.  Firstly, the maps were probably out of date when it came off the production line and I understand, from comments on the 'net, that a dealer upgrade is something like £300!!

Secondly, it seems to have a mind of its own. On selecting a destination, three options of routes are offered - but despite selecting a specific one, it will try to take you on the route it favours - regardless.

I have now resorted to a Tom Tom 6200 - and use the MyDrive App to plan routes on the computer (in conjunction with Google Street View) and download them to the Tom Tom. It works faultlessly but it is time consuming and is only really feasible if planning beforehand with plenty of time.  Wouldn't be so good, planning 'on the hoof' so to speak.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook