Sargent Stinger 310 Alarm.

j100bba replied on 17/10/2017 10:34

Posted on 17/10/2017 10:34

Hi Folks,

This alarm was fitted to my new Swift Challenger SE when new in 2014 and has been fine up to now, but upon investigating a beeping noise and looking in my handbook, I think the back up battery in the alarm needs replacing so I contacted Sargent Alarms and asked about a replacement.

I was advised I needed a new back up battery at a cost of £44.99 !!

This seemed a lot so I said I would "have a think" and looked online at the said battery, it is nothing more than two AA sized rechargeable batteries taped together and wired to plug into the alarm unit and find the price to be rather a lot for what you get, ie "rip off Brittan" again!!

My question to you all is, has anyone had the same problem and if so how did you sort it out, or do I have to bite the bullet and spend the money??

Kind Regards.

Paul.

Tractorboy123 replied on 09/04/2018 11:29

Posted on 09/04/2018 11:29

My caravan is in locked storage and I got so fed up with the alarm  taking juice from the leisure battery that I now don't include the alarm on my insurance. Sargent confirmed that their alarm takes power from the leisure battery first and that their alarm battery will not last very long if the leisure battery is removed. I still use the alarm on EHU sites but do not receive the discount of my insurance; about £30. I now store the battery at home in the winter and keep it charged. Phantom trackers take even more juice so I abandoned that also ! At the end of the day the insurance covers theft whether you have an alarm or not but don't ask for the alarm discount on your insurance as that will invalidate any claim. Most new caravans over £15,000 include devices which should really be optional.

TimJim replied on 11/04/2018 09:39

Posted on 11/04/2018 09:39

Take the entire battery to your local radio  supplies shop....they will supply exactly what you need. My local shop even soldered the wires and plug on to the new battery pack. He charged me 8.50 for the privilege.  They lasted 4years before needing replacement. The locally supplied battery clearly were of a better quality than the originals.

Tj

rimp replied on 16/05/2022 11:30

Posted on 16/05/2022 11:30

My Coachman VIP 2017 model had to have unit replaced because of a fault in less than 2 years, fortunately under warranty. It turned out to be the battery, but credit to Sargent they replaced the entire unit. This unit is doing exactly the same (just 3 years), so logged on to their website, the cost £54.58 delivered. Got the same battery from the LampShop as per the link by EasyT, the cost £20.19. I’ll just have to cut the 2 wires on the old battery on the alarm and either use joint blocks (gel type) or solder them which is no hard deal.

EmilysDad replied on 16/05/2022 15:00

Posted on 16/05/2022 11:30 by rimp

My Coachman VIP 2017 model had to have unit replaced because of a fault in less than 2 years, fortunately under warranty. It turned out to be the battery, but credit to Sargent they replaced the entire unit. This unit is doing exactly the same (just 3 years), so logged on to their website, the cost £54.58 delivered. Got the same battery from the LampShop as per the link by EasyT, the cost £20.19. I’ll just have to cut the 2 wires on the old battery on the alarm and either use joint blocks (gel type) or solder them which is no hard deal.

Posted on 16/05/2022 15:00

you say it failed but really only needed a new battery .... is the symptom that it beeps regularly when not connected to mains? If so, Sargent took mine back for repair when the caravan was about 3 yrs old ..... I replaced the battery again after another 5 yrs with the pattern battery  because, like you I wasn't prepared to pay Sargent what they wanted. 18 months later its doing the same thing. I'm glad Sargent don't do car or house alarms.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook