Roof leak repair - a DIY job

Psmiffy replied on 03/06/2021 19:21

Posted on 03/06/2021 19:21

Our 5yr old Lunar has damp patch on the ceiling. This is under a point on the roof where the joining strip (between the front panel and roof panel) and the awning rail meet. Poor workmanship seemed to be the manufacturing policy in the latter years of Lunar production, and this is by no means the only fault we've found. That aside, I now have the expense of dealing with this problem, and all repair shops are booked for months ahead. I consider myself a very competent DIYer so should I fix it myself? This would require the removal of the roof joining strip and awning rail halfway along the roof to a join and down to the bottom end (around 10ft), cleaning off the old sealant and re sealing/fitting. A Google search suggests that getting the rail and strip off is tricky as they will be well stuck down. Has anyone done this as a DIY job? Any tips? Your thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Thanks 

Paul

KeithL replied on 03/06/2021 21:06

Posted on 03/06/2021 21:06

Did awning rails and a roof strip once, simple enough job but very messy. Removed all the screws holding the rails and strip on then pushed a plastic scraper through the sealant under them from one end to the other. Don't pull the rails/strip away because they can bend quite easily.

After removing them clean ALL old sealant off the jointing surfaces on the van and rails/strip, I used copious amounts of white spirit and numerous old rags. Once all cleaned up the a new thick bead of Sikaflex and screw the rails/strip back on pulling them down evenly until they're bedded. Once done then clean off the sealant squeezed out with white spirit and job done. 

Psmiffy replied on 03/06/2021 21:45

Posted on 03/06/2021 21:45

Hi Keith, thanks for the reply. I've been researching online and along with your positive reply I'm feeling like it's a goer. I'm not sure if the existing rails are bedded on mastic strip or Sikaflex. I think some moisture maybe tracking down the screw threads, so I'll squirt a spot of sealant into the holes before putting  screws in.

Cheers

Paul

PeteCI replied on 03/06/2021 21:49

Posted on 03/06/2021 21:49

I've done this job several times over the years. It used to be considered as normal maintenance to reseal the roof joints every five years or so, particularly on the awning side.

As Keith said it's not difficult but hard work, specially removing all the old mastic from the rail once detached. I usually found that the original screws had been "self tapped" through the rail into the caravan side so the soft aluminium was distorted preventing a close fit. By carefully flattening the "pimple" then drilling out all the holes to be a clearance size to the new screws it was easier to get a good seal when reassembling. Sikaflex is good but make sure to use stainless steel screws too.

Psmiffy replied on 04/06/2021 12:13

Posted on 04/06/2021 12:13

PeteCl, Thanks for the screw hole tip, I'll  do that when re fitting. The frustrating thing is having to do this on a 5yr old van. I've owned vans built in the 80s and 90s that didn't leak, the last van built in 1996 was 25 yrs old when sold, that didn't  leak either. I've owned houses, numerous cars and several boats, none of which leaked. No other industry could get away with producing such a shoddy and overpriced product. Wouldn't it be good if we all stopped buying them until they sorted themselves out.

Paul

PeteCI replied on 04/06/2021 16:31

Posted on 04/06/2021 16:31

I must be very unlucky then. I've owned 9 caravans over the last 40 years or so and every one has leaked. None of them was more than 5 years old when water ingress began. 

Mari replied on 06/06/2021 15:54

Posted on 04/06/2021 12:13 by Psmiffy

PeteCl, Thanks for the screw hole tip, I'll  do that when re fitting. The frustrating thing is having to do this on a 5yr old van. I've owned vans built in the 80s and 90s that didn't leak, the last van built in 1996 was 25 yrs old when sold, that didn't  leak either. I've owned houses, numerous cars and several boats, none of which leaked. No other industry could get away with producing such a shoddy and overpriced product. Wouldn't it be good if we all stopped buying them until they sorted themselves out.

Paul

Posted on 06/06/2021 15:54

Absolutely agree with you we have had the exact same problem with our lunar van, been in several times with roof leaks ive now myself discovered on of the air vents in roof one above microwave has never had any sealant on the other one over the bathroom is sealed fine shoddy workmanship apparently 5-6 years ago when we had ours now no warranty as the crap company gone bust disgraceful 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook