Replacing a wheel spat

KjellNN replied on 04/02/2024 16:23

Posted on 04/02/2024 16:23

Last year we had a blow out on one tyre of  our twin axle, this resulted in damage to the wheel spat,  but the van was OK otherwise.    Dealer patched up the spat, but we have finally got  around to purchasing a new one.

Being a twin  axle, the spat is quite large, and I have heard several tales of spats being lost without trace, so wondering what is the best way to fix the new one in place.   

The manufacturers say not to trust the original fixing clips, if indeed they are still there, but to glue it in place, and there are 4 or 5  blocks bonded  to the back of it to apply the glue to.    They have suggested "No more nails" or "Stixall" or "Gorilla Glue".

Can anyone who has done a job like this recommend which of these would be best?   

And should I also seal the top edge of spat to body of van junction, to prevent water and dirt getting trapped?

eribaMotters replied on 04/02/2024 19:07

Posted on 04/02/2024 19:07

I've bonded a few things to my caravans, including an awning rail.

Gorilla Glue would not be my choice as it is a messy foaming polyurethane glue.

The likes of no more nails, liquid nails etc would work, but you must not use a water based version in the low temperature and damp weather we have at present.

My choice would however be the one time industry default setting of Sikaflex. This is a non setting adhesive mastic sealant that cures to a stiff rubber type consistency. It used to be hideously expensive at about £12/14 a tube, but it is now available form the likes of Screwfix or Toolstation for a lot less.

Colin

Extugger replied on 04/02/2024 20:07

Posted on 04/02/2024 19:07 by eribaMotters

I've bonded a few things to my caravans, including an awning rail.

Gorilla Glue would not be my choice as it is a messy foaming polyurethane glue.

The likes of no more nails, liquid nails etc would work, but you must not use a water based version in the low temperature and damp weather we have at present.

My choice would however be the one time industry default setting of Sikaflex. This is a non setting adhesive mastic sealant that cures to a stiff rubber type consistency. It used to be hideously expensive at about £12/14 a tube, but it is now available form the likes of Screwfix or Toolstation for a lot less.

Colin

Posted on 04/02/2024 20:07

Agree with Colin, Sikaflex is definitely the way to go. Nothing else comes close. Make sure you mask off surrounding area and remove immediately afterwards.

KjellNN replied on 04/02/2024 23:43

Posted on 04/02/2024 23:43

Thanks both!    I was thinking of Sikaflex too, have used it before, on our previous caravan.  Not needed to do any exterior repairs on this one before.

Just need some decent weather to get out there to do it, far too  cold and wet at present.   Either that or pay our dealer to do it when it goes for service in 4 weeks time.

KjellNN replied on 05/02/2024 14:41

Posted on 05/02/2024 14:41

On  the remaining good one, i do not see any screws holding it in place, should I use screws on the new one?

eribaMotters replied on 05/02/2024 17:38

Posted on 05/02/2024 17:38

If you can get some small stainless steel self tappers in then all the better. They will keep the spat in place whilst the Sikaflex goes off and gives that extra piece of mind.

Colin

skodaman replied on 05/02/2024 18:39

Posted on 05/02/2024 18:39

Having had the same thing happen to us on the A64 to York some years ago I had to replace the nearside wheel spat on our van  I used silicone sealer which couler matched the spat and also used 2 s/steel self tapping screw ,that was 6 ears ago and it it still firmly secured,  just use a quality s/sealer product

Trini replied on 06/02/2024 04:03

Posted on 06/02/2024 04:03

We use CT plus on numerous locations when repairing coaches and wouldnt use anything else.

The body work on a coach especially a modern coach flexes even more with todays roads

Its not cheap and available in different colours from Wickes and oline tho we buy in bulk and is applied with a standard silicone gun.

eribaMotters replied on 06/02/2024 09:47

Posted on 06/02/2024 09:47

Fair point flatcoat, but original is not always best. Our vans are built to a specification to make the manufacturer a profit. It is quicker and cheaper for them to use a couple of screws instead of screws and adhesive.

Colin

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook