Problem with overseas sites download Garmin Satnav

MargaretandDerek replied on 07/03/2019 10:26

Posted on 07/03/2019 10:26

Has anyone had problems with the latest downloads from the Club site for ‘Overseas Site Locations’ (ie the .csv files that have to be loaded into the Garmin POI (Points of Interest) to give site locations)?

A few days ago I downloaded the three files from the club site (UK Club Sites, UK CLs, Overseas Sites). The first two loaded into my Garmin without trouble. The last one, file ccluboverseasgarminnavman.csv , wouldn’t load, with the warning from Garmin POI loader:

There is a data format error on line 103 of file C:\Users\derek\Downloads/ccluboverseasgarminnavman.csv

I re-downloaded from the Club site another couple of times in case it was a corruption in the transmission, but got the same result. Thus, there seems to be a corruption in the Caravan Club’s download.

I contacted the Club and asked them if they could fix it, but just got the answer back, “Contact Garmin”! As far as I can see, it has nothing to do with Garmin, and have suggested this to the Club. So far I’ve had no reply. So I’m checking if anyone has had similar problems.

cyberyacht replied on 07/03/2019 11:34

Posted on 07/03/2019 11:34

.csv is an Excel spreadsheet format. You could open the file in Excel and examine line 103 and hopefully the error might be self-evident. Edit it and save the file then try again. 

MargaretandDerek replied on 08/03/2019 16:43

Posted on 08/03/2019 16:43

Argghhh. Of course. How dim can I be!  Thanks cyberyacht. Line 103 has the coordinates missing for the site:

"L'Ocean Breton>0033 2 98 82 23 89, L'Ocean Breton, Lieu Dit Manoir de Kerlut, Plobannalec Lesconil, 29740, France"

I've Deleted User the line and uploaded the rest successfully. Still haven't had a response from the Club, so will email them again with the fix so that they can save other members from this problem.

Thanks again

young thomas replied on 08/03/2019 16:50

Posted on 08/03/2019 16:50

well done CY and M and D...

ive done the Tomtom file and it's ok as far as I know..

ypu could google map the entrance to the missing site and it will give you the GPS location (or check last year's...it won't have movedwink... and then edit the file...

good luck.

MargaretandDerek replied on 09/03/2019 10:52

Posted on 09/03/2019 10:52

Thanks for educating me BB. I didn't realise it was so easy to get co-ordinates of google maps (I've just looked up how to do it).

I wonder if the TomTom file doesn't have the error, or whether TomTom just ignores the lack of coordinates and carries on loading whereas Garmin is programmed to just stop? 

Anyway, problem sorted for me thanks to the above input, and hopefully the Club will (or will have already) sorted the Garmin file for other members.

Hoddy replied on 12/03/2019 12:40

Posted on 09/03/2019 17:30 by cyberyacht

I wouldn't. That's 550 miles east of Mombasa. Switch the order and you may end up in Brittany.

Posted on 12/03/2019 12:40

If you look at the .csv file, col. A is longitude and col. B is latitude so my coordinates are correct 

cyberyacht replied on 13/03/2019 08:03

Posted on 13/03/2019 08:03

Ah, I see. Convention when quoting LAT & LONG is always in that order, I thought. My built in TomTom based satnav would have sent me to Mombasa. surprised

MargaretandDerek replied on 02/04/2019 12:07

Posted on 02/04/2019 12:07

The Club still haven't corrected the file on the website. I had an email from them saying it was sorted, but just downloaded the Garmin version and it is still wrong in line 103. I have emailed them again, and offered to, once again, send them the corrected file (corrected with the help of your posts above).

BUT is it possible that what I think is being downloaded is really coming from my computer's cache? Could anyone download the file, open it in Excel and see if the location data is still missing at line 103?  Thanks

Here is the Club's email:

" Dear Mr Walker, Thank you for your email enquiry, I’m sorry to hear about the issues that you’ve been having downloading the POI files for your Garmin Sat Nav. I have spoken with our IT team and liaised with Garmin and we have re provided the POI files, these should now be downloadable for you. "

Hoddy replied on 04/04/2019 11:00

Posted on 04/04/2019 11:00

It's not only Garmin but the other Sat Nav manufacturers that also have the information missing. See photo below of TomTom showing missing site in the sea. Sorry about the size cannot get it any bigger

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook