Problem with a Truma Solar Charger

pterodactyl replied on 19/05/2020 17:43

Posted on 19/05/2020 17:43

I have a five year old Truma Solar Dual Battery Charger (100a) fitted to my caravan. The van was serviced in March and no problems evident at that time. A new 100a leisure battery was  fitted last year. Caravan has not been used since March but all electrics have been switched off at control panel. Yesterday I noticed the green light on the charger controller was not illuminating and the battery charge had fallen to 11.2a. I have charged the battery up and hope that it has not been damaged by the discharge. I have reset the controller several times but still no green light. Is there an in-line fuse that I can check?  Any idea where it is?  Truma help lines have been of no help at all, probably due to lockdown. All suggestions will be highly welcome!

Freedom a whitebox replied on 20/05/2020 20:24

Posted on 20/05/2020 20:24

I have a bailey caravan of the same age with a truma solar panel and charge controller.
This has a inline fuse between the charge controller and battery. 

I hope this is of some use.

pterodactyl replied on 21/05/2020 13:22

Posted on 21/05/2020 13:22

Thanks for this FaW, I will try and find it. In my Bailey Unicorn 3 the battery is located under the floor at the side of the bed and the charger is in the high level locker to the left of the door. Hopefully the cable is in an accessible place.

Bobupandown replied on 21/05/2020 15:58

Posted on 21/05/2020 15:58

Hi hope this is helpfull

I have 2015 Bailey unicorn s3 and had a problem with Truma  not charging .

on inspecting  the  wires to the controller there was a plug and socket connection on the battery supply side  ,parting this connection waiting a minute before reconnecting cleared the "fault" it was on a rally and another member had the same experience .From this I guess that the electronics had " got stuck " in lay mans terms . I believe the controller can lock up on voltage spikes .Mine has been trouble free since

Previous experience with free standing solar panels I found they do not like to charge a very flat battery ! You could try the above , you may be able to achieve the same by disconnecting battery carefully avoiding voltage spikes on reconnecting van battery (,this worked for another rallier ) .try charging the van battery with a charger

Good luck Bob

pterodactyl replied on 21/05/2020 17:17

Posted on 21/05/2020 17:17

Thanks Bob

I found the 15a blade fuse which seemed securely in place but when I removed it an then reinserted it, the charger control unit started to work and showed a permanent green LED which shows it is charging. It looks as if part of the fuse cover is missing but presumably can be taped firmly back into place. Battery level is now up to 13.7 so hopefully will have survived.

TheModelTreeShop replied on 17/08/2022 17:11

Posted on 21/05/2020 17:17 by pterodactyl

Thanks Bob

I found the 15a blade fuse which seemed securely in place but when I removed it an then reinserted it, the charger control unit started to work and showed a permanent green LED which shows it is charging. It looks as if part of the fuse cover is missing but presumably can be taped firmly back into place. Battery level is now up to 13.7 so hopefully will have survived.

Posted on 17/08/2022 17:11

Pterodactyl, could you tell me where this fuse was please - we are having similar issues...

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook