Porch awning

ScreenNameB3CBE7025B replied on 17/02/2022 12:59

Posted on 17/02/2022 12:59

Hi All,

Please bear with me if this is a stupid question. I'm new to caravanning being one of the masses that bought a caravan last year to be able to gat a break and time away.

As it happens it turns out the wife and kids loved the time away so its being kept and used more this year

I have bought a second hand air porch awning that seems to fit lovely on the van other than their being some loos material that seems to hang at the sides and I cant see how a seal is created between the porch and the side of the van.

Any advise appreciated

eribaMotters replied on 17/02/2022 17:40

Posted on 17/02/2022 17:40

I'm guessing as the ends of your awning do not run in a track then you will not get a perfect weather tight seal. You will have some excess material and will probably need to peg it back tight under the van. You can buy foam pads that fit the ends of some porch awnings on velcro pads/strips, which will help with the fit.

Colin

Cornersteady replied on 17/02/2022 18:20

Posted on 17/02/2022 18:20

Yes as EM says fully above, you will never get a perfect seal with a porch awning.

You can also buy adjustable poles to further push the material in towards the caravan with the foam the and/or seals from the Kampa limpet system but it will never be fully sealed.  But in our experience it won't really matter, we have used porch awnings in all weathers and never had any problems with wind or rain.

richardandros replied on 18/02/2022 05:56

Posted on 18/02/2022 05:56

We have two porch awnings - a Kampa and a Sunncamp lightweight.  Both are 390 long - so hardly small and like Corners, we have used either one in really bad weather and never had a problem. Make sure that you are actually pegging the corners down slightly under the van so that the foam pad is pulled tight against the van. On both of ours, there is also a flap which is a continuation of the foam pad and this needs to be pegged out inside the awning - parallel to the van. (Do this after the awning is inflated)  Is this the 'loose' material you refer to? Pegging this out as close to the van as possible also helps to give a good seal.

Once inflated - peg out the outside corners - pulling it all tight and square - and then do the rest.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook