One wheel lock or two on a twin axle

winni1974 replied on 11/04/2023 13:06

Posted on 11/04/2023 13:06

I am looking for some advice, we are just buying our first twin axle caravan which comes with one wheel lock however when i called the insurance for a quote some were insisting on it having two wheel locks and they need to be fitted on the same side.

does anyone else have two wheel locks on theirs and if so what type ?

Tinwheeler replied on 11/04/2023 13:12

Posted on 11/04/2023 13:12

Yes, always two in order to immobilise both axles. Otherwise the van can be tilted and moved on one axle which is also the reason they should be fitted on the same side.

We had two Alko wheel lock abominations on our last T/A van way back in 2006.

winni1974 replied on 11/04/2023 13:28

Posted on 11/04/2023 13:12 by Tinwheeler

Yes, always two in order to immobilise both axles. Otherwise the van can be tilted and moved on one axle which is also the reason they should be fitted on the same side.

We had two Alko wheel lock abominations on our last T/A van way back in 2006.

Posted on 11/04/2023 13:28

thanks Tinwheeler 

so the caravan i have bought is a swift sprite EW but i am sure i only saw one alko wheel lock receiver so would the other need to be a wheel clamp ? 

i should note that i also have power touch motor mover fitted so i am worried that a clamp might not fit 

Tinwheeler replied on 11/04/2023 13:46

Posted on 11/04/2023 13:46

I assume you haven’t taken delivery yet so I suggest you give the dealer a call and ask the questions. Then, if necessary, you can have a further discussion with your insurer.👍🏻

Cornersteady replied on 11/04/2023 14:04

Posted on 11/04/2023 13:28 by winni1974

thanks Tinwheeler 

so the caravan i have bought is a swift sprite EW but i am sure i only saw one alko wheel lock receiver so would the other need to be a wheel clamp ? 

i should note that i also have power touch motor mover fitted so i am worried that a clamp might not fit 

Posted on 11/04/2023 14:04

I would check with your insurer but it doesn't have to be a wheel clamp and/or even an Alko lock for the other wheel. With our single axle we got fed up with aligning the Alko lock with the receiver even with a mover (some find it easy and some don't - we're in the don't camp) and after having checked with our insurance we now uses a Milenco wraith wheel lock which is far easier to fit. 

PS we have a different Sprite and we love it.

EmilysDad replied on 11/04/2023 14:18

Posted on 11/04/2023 14:18

when speaking to the caravan club re insurance of our twin axle, she was OK with us using 1 Alko & 1 Bulldog clamp which would be slightly easier to fit on site.

dave the rave replied on 11/04/2023 14:32

Posted on 11/04/2023 14:32

Another one for the Milenco Wraith.I have a single axle and when at home I use the Alko through the wheel lock and the wraith on the o/s.When on site I tend to use the wraith and not the alko.

winni1974 replied on 11/04/2023 15:39

Posted on 11/04/2023 14:32 by dave the rave

Another one for the Milenco Wraith.I have a single axle and when at home I use the Alko through the wheel lock and the wraith on the o/s.When on site I tend to use the wraith and not the alko.

Posted on 11/04/2023 15:39

ok so would that be the Wraith and the 2nd generation Wraith 2?

richardandros replied on 11/04/2023 15:41

Posted on 11/04/2023 15:41

Using just one wheel lock on a TA van is a waste of time.  All the low life will do is deflate the tyre on the wheel with the lock on - and drive off as normal. Although a van being towed with a lock on might attract attention - it's unlikely.

Because of the value of our van and the fact that it's German, it is a requirement of our CAMC insurance that two Alko locks are fitted at all times with the exception of when on site, when one Alko and another approved lock can be used. Since I have E&P levelling - fitting the Alko locks takes less than 5 minutes - so they're always on, wherever it is.

You could get away with no security measures at all - but your insurance premium will increase accordingly.

KjellNN replied on 11/04/2023 16:09

Posted on 11/04/2023 13:28 by winni1974

thanks Tinwheeler 

Posted on 11/04/2023 16:09

You are mistaken, the twin axle models all have 2 AlKo receivers fitted.

You will find it likely that your mover will make fitting some types of clamp very difficult, even impossible.

We have a twin axle Swift (1900kg) and AlKo locks, no problem fitting if you use a trolley jack or the Lock and Level device.  I use a 2 tonne trolley jack.

We have only the Truma single mover fitted, it is designed for a twin axle, it saves weight and does what we need it to do, so we can fit an ordinary clamp to the wheel without the mover if necessary.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook