Omnivent Problem - Again

JohnM20 replied on 15/05/2021 15:06

Posted on 15/05/2021 15:06

Three years ago my Omnivent controller failed and Thule Omnistor provided me with an upgraded controller, acknowledging that there was a design problem with the controller. This stopped the fan from operating with the lights on the controller dancing from side to side. I guess many of you have probably experienced the same problem. Exactly three years later this 'improved design' controller has failed again. I've been in touch with Thule but, as yet, have not been favoured with a reply.

In the event that Thule can't offer a solution to the problem I have in mind to install a rotary knob motor control.  These seem readily available for round about £10. Has anyone carried out this sort of modification or, if there are any electronic whizz kids out there, is there anything I should be aware of?  Also, does anyone know the specification of the Omnivent motor?

jennyc replied on 17/05/2021 07:45

Posted on 15/05/2021 15:06 by JohnM20

Three years ago my Omnivent controller failed and Thule Omnistor provided me with an upgraded controller, acknowledging that there was a design problem with the controller. This stopped the fan from operating with the lights on the controller dancing from side to side. I guess many of you have probably experienced the same problem. Exactly three years later this 'improved design' controller has failed again. I've been in touch with Thule but, as yet, have not been favoured with a reply.

In the event that Thule can't offer a solution to the problem I have in mind to install a rotary knob motor control.  These seem readily available for round about £10. Has anyone carried out this sort of modification or, if there are any electronic whizz kids out there, is there anything I should be aware of?  Also, does anyone know the specification of the Omnivent motor?

Posted on 17/05/2021 07:45

I think that it would be fair to say that the reliability of Omnistor vents is disgracefully poor. At the very least, since failures are common, replacement parts should be cheap, but they aren’t.

JohnM20 replied on 10/06/2021 14:29

Posted on 10/06/2021 14:29

Just an update on the problem. Despite contacting Thule Omnivent twice by email I have not had any reply whatsoever. Not a good advert for Thule's customer service.

Because of this I contacted Electronic Services at Burton on Trent to ask if they could possibly repair the switch controller. They checked it out and said it was far too complicated electronically for the job it was  supposed to do, "there was less computing power in the rocket that took the first men to the moon". The alternative was, as I had considered, a simple rotary potentiometer with an on/off switch incorporated. Electronic Services obtained the potentiometer, removed the old printed circuit board from the original housing and fitted the switch. It is now back in the Omivent and works fine, all for £40.00. 

PickledOnion2 replied on 10/06/2021 15:21

Posted on 10/06/2021 15:21

I had the same trouble with mine, told the PCB needed to be 'potted' to keep the moisture out. Did this and it worked well for a while then same old story.

Next information was that the motor brushes wear and the carbon deposits inside it cause the problem, couldn't gain access to clean it out and wasn't spending £90 on a new motor. Was all ready to buy a Maxxfan deluxe to replace it when a new one came up for sale on a well known website for £100 complete. Fitted and behaving itself, ... for now.

Dave.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook