Obscure Coachman electrical fault

DaveT replied on 30/09/2019 10:45

Posted on 30/09/2019 10:45

I have a 2019 Coachman Laser which has just gone back for some warranty work. Unfortunately, we have experienced a bizarre power supply problem. It usually happens when the heating is on, the lights and DC television is connected. The cooker or other heavy usage items are not connected at the time. 

The problem is that the lights, Alde control panel, master control panel, tv shut down for perhaps 5 seconds and then return to normal. Once this has started, the frequency between power outages increases. Turning all the power off for an hour seems to reset it. This has happened on a number of sites, so I am confident that the site supply is not a problem. Annoyingly, it doesn't happen every trip, so it has a random nature to it. In addition, it can even happen during the night when the lights are out and the tv is connected, although not switched on. We are usually woken by lights flashing and the television switching itself on and off.

My dealer has had the caravan connected with everything running and cannot replicate the problem - as I feared would be the case.

Although my gut feeling is that the 12V charger is overheating, I wondered whether any other Coachman owners do or have suffered the same problem in the past.

Oneputt replied on 30/09/2019 10:55

Posted on 30/09/2019 10:55

I have am electrical fault on the master, not as bad as yours. When on EHU and switch the master on it tells me the car engine is running I then run through a number settings until it clears. As I say not serious but a pain especially as the dealer reset it once

lornalou1 replied on 30/09/2019 11:49

Posted on 30/09/2019 11:49

Has the van got a limiter on the control panel that you set for the incoming amps, ie- most sites are 16amp but if your limiter has been set to say 10 then when the charger/fridge/heater clicks in it's cutting things out to save power.

stephen p replied on 30/09/2019 15:34

Posted on 30/09/2019 15:34

The fault you describe is on the 12V DC powered equipment only? and it sounds like ALL of the 12V equipment is affected.

What warranty work was done electrical??

It is not likely to be the charger, if this failed it would just leave you running on battery and all would stay working.

It could be your battery, if it can not hold charge and is putting excessive load on the charger the charger may trip (thermal) leaving you (not) running on a dead battery. I think this is unlikely as you said it could happen when there is minimal load on the system.

You need to be looking at a common point in the 12V wiring, poor connections can overheat and dis/re-connect intermittently. I would be looking inside the DC fuse box look for loose connections to and from the main switch (DC) and check any in line fuse holders, also check the wiring to any main ON/OFF switch in the caravan.

Please disconnect your battery and EHU before investigating. (not shouting)

lornalou1 replied on 30/09/2019 20:08

Posted on 30/09/2019 12:29 by DaveT

Thanks Lornalou. Have tried it on both 2Kw and 3Kw settings with the same result. 

Posted on 30/09/2019 20:08

No, not what the heating is set at but the total limit. 2kw is 8.3 amp so if your limiter is set at 10 amp then that gives you 1.7amp to play with and when the charger kicks in or the fridge the surge could take you over the limit. cutting out the power till drops below that total limit. Sorry I'm not very good at explaining thing on paper.

DaveT replied on 30/09/2019 21:57

Posted on 30/09/2019 21:57

Thanks for all your comments. I will try to make some sense of the circuit diagram. I note your good advice regarding the removal of power sources before I go poking around, you are absolutely right.

Waffler replied on 05/10/2019 21:54

Posted on 05/10/2019 21:54

I would try a few things.  Next time it happens remove the solar panel fuse. If that controller is faulty it might over charge.  Switch off master and switch on again. If not that disconnect the battery and reconnect.  If that fixes it the problem might be software. When it is at the dealer is the load the same as when you have the fault. Is the heating up to temperature? We had a problem with the bathroom lights that wouldn’t work at night. Turned out to be a dodgy connection. One thought is that the mains input might be loose. If it is the usual kettle connector it can slip out but still make a poor connection.

Toby Keith replied on 07/09/2020 10:29

Posted on 30/09/2019 10:45 by DaveT

I have a 2019 Coachman Laser which has just gone back for some warranty work. Unfortunately, we have experienced a bizarre power supply problem. It usually happens when the heating is on, the lights and DC television is connected. The cooker or other heavy usage items are not connected at the time. 

The problem is that the lights, Alde control panel, master control panel, tv shut down for perhaps 5 seconds and then return to normal. Once this has started, the frequency between power outages increases. Turning all the power off for an hour seems to reset it. This has happened on a number of sites, so I am confident that the site supply is not a problem. Annoyingly, it doesn't happen every trip, so it has a random nature to it. In addition, it can even happen during the night when the lights are out and the tv is connected, although not switched on. We are usually woken by lights flashing and the television switching itself on and off.

My dealer has had the caravan connected with everything running and cannot replicate the problem - as I feared would be the case.

Although my gut feeling is that the 12V charger is overheating, I wondered whether any other Coachman owners do or have suffered the same problem in the past.

Posted on 07/09/2020 10:29

Hello

I have just purchased a new Coachman caravan and have experienced the same problems cover a long weekend. Did you or the dealer find the solution. As my dealer is also struggling to replicate, but I did manage the video the issue.

Toby Keith replied on 10/09/2020 16:55

Posted on 10/09/2020 16:55

Hello Dave T

I have just taken delivery of a Coachman 545 VIP and experienced the same problems. Did you or the dealer find a solution? Thanks in advance.

Keith

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook