No lpg propane

armourer replied on 12/10/2020 14:38

Posted on 12/10/2020 14:38

whats going on with the lpg propane gas bottles

i cannot buy exchange any 6kg bottles anywhere ???

tried all the dealers

im in central belt scotland i will travel anywhere between Edinburgh and glasgow or even further afield

pointless having a caravan if you cannot get gas for it 

any help appreciated

don't say morrisons or tesco or bp or shell  cause they don't have any its like there's a national shortage

Impy replied on 12/10/2020 14:42

Posted on 12/10/2020 14:42

We heard that there is a national shortage of LPG, we were not aware of this until we were on a site in early September when a fellow caravanner told us.  

ocsid replied on 12/10/2020 18:47

Posted on 12/10/2020 18:47

Is this across all brands, or a problem with any specific one?

Have you tried the Flo-gas dealerships as the company has taken over a very wide range of brands, including Macgas. It has become a major player in the commercial sector supplying roofers etc, so many builder's merchants, roofing suppliers are stockists.

https://www.flogas.co.uk/stockists

DSB replied on 12/10/2020 20:39

Posted on 12/10/2020 20:39

We've just 'bitten the bullet' and have bought a medium Safefill bottle. 

I know there are a decreasing number of outlets to refill but, I had a conversation with Matt from Jacksons Of Arley, one of our local caravan/ camping shops who also refill the bottles.  They were out of stock for Safefill bottles, but I asked if they intended to continue to supply LPG to fill Safefill bottles.  He said that they had spent serious money installing the facility, so there is no way they were going to stop stocking LPG to refill bottles.  I asked him if he could send me a quick email when they have their next stock of bottles in.  I had a phone call from him on Saturday, so I went down straight away and picked up a bottle.

Even if I can't get it refilled anywhere else, I know Jacksons will be able to oblige.....  All as I need to do is to get it topped up from time to time....

David

Bakers2 replied on 12/10/2020 20:52

Posted on 12/10/2020 20:52

I'm looking a equipping us with a motorhome again. Be that a PVC or small coachbuilt and notice lots of lpg tanks which is concerning if Tinwheeler is correct 😱

At least if you have cylinders, whichever type, there is a storage space for another make whereas an lpg tank offers no such option!

This area is very short on dealers and caravan and camping shops and I dread to think where you could purchase lpg.

DSB replied on 12/10/2020 21:10

Posted on 12/10/2020 20:52 by Bakers2

I'm looking a equipping us with a motorhome again. Be that a PVC or small coachbuilt and notice lots of lpg tanks which is concerning if Tinwheeler is correct 😱

At least if you have cylinders, whichever type, there is a storage space for another make whereas an lpg tank offers no such option!

This area is very short on dealers and caravan and camping shops and I dread to think where you could purchase lpg.

Posted on 12/10/2020 21:10

I think we are fairly lucky for caravan and camping shops here.  It is debatable as to whether it is that economical for us to have bought the Safefill bottle, though.  It takes us ages to get through a gas bottle, but, to be honest, I'm a bit more concerned about the weight.  With Calorlite bottles becoming as rare as hens teeth, Safefill is a good light alternative, so we've gone for it.  I'm just happy that Jacksons will continue to fill the bottles.

David

Tinwheeler replied on 12/10/2020 21:31

Posted on 12/10/2020 20:52 by Bakers2

Posted on 12/10/2020 21:31

It is becoming more of a concern, B2. There’s a sticky thread listing filling points in Tips for making vanning cheaper.

Shell are removing a lot of their auto gas pumps which is reducing options. We use very little gas so don’t envisage it being a huge issue for us personally to the extent that we've just changed our van for another with an underslung tank.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook