No 12v for toilet flush

Archville replied on 03/06/2024 17:58

Posted on 03/06/2024 17:58

Hi, I have a Lunar Ultima and been away this weekend only to find that the toilet would not flush. I have since checked the fuse (No.1) and there is no 12v power at the fuse. Other 12v equipment does work and the main 20amp in-line leisure battery fuse is ok. Just looking for any guidance of why there isn't power at the fuse box no.1 fuse? As a result there isn't any power at the toilet flush switch. Tested without being on EHU but with a fully charged battery.

Tinwheeler replied on 03/06/2024 18:27

Posted on 03/06/2024 18:27

The toilet flush always runs off 12v even when on EHU. 

Does the pump try to run or are things completely dead? Have you physically checked that the pump impeller is free to turn by giving it a flick?

Archville replied on 04/06/2024 09:10

Posted on 04/06/2024 09:10

Thanks for responding. No issues with toilet electrics at that end as there is no 12v power at the toilet fuse in the main fuse panel. The 12v lights work from another fuse. Also tried the radio which also didn't switch on. Whilst away I also had an issue with the water pump which would not switch off, wondered if the two might be related? Is there an in line fuse somewhere at the main fuse panel? The main 20Amp leisure battery fuse tested good. I tested when not connected to EHU.

Tinwheeler replied on 04/06/2024 09:48

Posted on 04/06/2024 09:48

Right then. My next thought is that there will be a fuse somewhere in the toilet itself. If you follow the wiring in the cassette compartment, you should be able to find it. Your instruction book for the toilet may help.

However, it sounds as if the fault could be further back down the line and it’s near impossible to diagnose remotely. A wiring diagram may help you but, failing that, a visit to a workshop may be needed.

KjellNN replied on 04/06/2024 10:20

Posted on 04/06/2024 10:20

Are all the 12v items which do not work operated via the same fuse?

If there is no power to part of the fuse board then that would suggest to me a loose connection or a broken wire somewhere.   Sometimes wires  can be a bit short and with a lot of movement as in a towed caravan, things can part company.

Personally, I would be opening things up and investigating, after first tracing the cable after the battery fuse , but that depends on being confident with electrics, and not being within the warranty period.

Archville replied on 04/06/2024 10:21

Posted on 04/06/2024 10:21

Cheers Tinwheeler, got to try to see why there is no 12 volt at the fuse in the main fuse panel. The main panel does not look easy to access to investigate. Appreciate your comments, I will update when I have been back to the storage unit.

DavidKlyne replied on 04/06/2024 15:15

Posted on 04/06/2024 15:15

Not sure if its relevant but I once had a blade fuse go in the cassette housing. If you take the cassette out you should be able to see the fuse. 

David

mickysf replied on 04/06/2024 15:53

Posted on 04/06/2024 15:15 by DavidKlyne

Not sure if its relevant but I once had a blade fuse go in the cassette housing. If you take the cassette out you should be able to see the fuse. 

David

Posted on 04/06/2024 15:53

Yes, remove cassette and peer inside the cabinet . Our fuse is on the left hand side about half way up the interior ‘wall’. You may be able to see the cabling leading to it.

Archville replied on 06/06/2024 19:55

Posted on 06/06/2024 19:55

Thanks KjellNN for your suggestion. Im hoping to go back to the caravan tomorrow. Happy with electrics as I trained as an electrician. Problem is accessing the main fuse compartment as not easy to open it up. Will check for potential loose wires as you suggest. Many thanks

Paul

Archville replied on 07/06/2024 16:29

Posted on 07/06/2024 16:29

Hi, Just to update on the non flushing toilet. Thanks to the tips given from above responders, one of the issues was a clogged up pump. A few spin soon released it followed by a full check of fuses in main panel and hey presto the toilet has resumed to normal flushing mode. My toilet was the Thetford C262 model, and just to avoid confusion this model does not have a fuse located in the cassette locker unlike the C250. Thetford changed this due to the number of corroded fuses in the cassette lockers. Many thanks again to those who offered advice.

Paul 

Tinwheeler replied on 07/06/2024 21:19

Posted on 07/06/2024 16:29 by Archville

Hi, Just to update on the non flushing toilet. Thanks to the tips given from above responders, one of the issues was a clogged up pump. A few spin soon released it followed by a full check of fuses in main panel and hey presto the toilet has resumed to normal flushing mode. My toilet was the Thetford C262 model, and just to avoid confusion this model does not have a fuse located in the cassette locker unlike the C250. Thetford changed this due to the number of corroded fuses in the cassette lockers. Many thanks again to those who offered advice.

Paul 

Posted on 07/06/2024 21:19

Yep, a bunged up pump is often the problem. Glad you got it sorted.

Avoid the pink flush additive in future!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook