New tow car advice please

ginga47 replied on 18/09/2021 13:13

Posted on 18/09/2021 13:13

Hi, thinking of getting newer tow car.

I have a Hyundai Santa Fe at the moment.

Seen a Mercedes ML250 15 reg any advice if this is ok to tow an Eldiss Supercyclone or would an ML 350 be more advisable.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thank you.

Davey

EmilysDad replied on 18/09/2021 14:13

Posted on 18/09/2021 13:13 by ginga47

Hi, thinking of getting newer tow car.

I have a Hyundai Santa Fe at the moment.

Seen a Mercedes ML250 15 reg any advice if this is ok to tow an Eldiss Supercyclone or would an ML 350 be more advisable.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thank you.

Davey

Posted on 18/09/2021 14:13

given the choice, you should always choose more cylinders than doors ... 😉

I have a 14 plate ML350 and tow a Coachman Laser which is a similar weight .... it tows it without problem. Have a look out for a ML with Airmatic & a factory towbar. Just bear in mind that they're not the most frugal of vehicles, I can see 30/32 mpg around town but it's very easy to see mid 20's, at a steady 55/60 towing last week I saw around 25 .... but 3.0 litre permanent 4x4 cars with the aerodynamics of a brick aren't bought for their fuel economy.

EmilysDad replied on 18/09/2021 23:07

Posted on 18/09/2021 17:23 by JVB66

Stick with the Hyundi/ Kia brandcool

Posted on 18/09/2021 23:07

Why? Maybe Davey wants to go a little up market .... 🙄

Extugger replied on 19/09/2021 09:45

Posted on 19/09/2021 09:45

I see that the Kia Sorento beats the more ‘upmarket’ brands for reliability, warranty and actual towing ability, once again winning a recent What Car? award as overall winner. That’s not meant to say MB is not up to the job, it’s a very capable vehicle. 

EmilysDad replied on 19/09/2021 10:20

Posted on 19/09/2021 09:45 by Extugger

I see that the Kia Sorento beats the more ‘upmarket’ brands for reliability, warranty and actual towing ability, once again winning a recent What Car? award as overall winner. That’s not meant to say MB is not up to the job, it’s a very capable vehicle. 

Posted on 19/09/2021 10:20

How was "towing ability" defined? 🤔 

Having never driven a Sorento I couldn't comment .... the Sedonna though was a belting car/MPV

Extugger replied on 19/09/2021 17:38

Posted on 19/09/2021 17:38

Hope this quote helps:  

Kia’s large Sorento SUV has seen off stiff competition from the Volkswagen Passat Estate and BMW X5 to be named Britain’s best tow car.

Awarded by What Car? and the Camping and Caravanning Club, the latest seven-seat Sorento has been crowned Tow Car of the Year.

The model was was praised highly by the judges for its ‘huge breadth of abilities’.

The model tested, fitted with a 2.2-litre turbodiesel – was initially named as the category winner for being able to tow 1,900kg plus and costing up to £50,000, before then being named as the overall winner.

The Sorento is Kia’s flagship model in the UK and the title is set to make it even more appealing to buyers.

Steve Huntingford, editor of What Car?, said: ‘If you picture a Venn diagram with circles representing stability, performance, practicality and value, right in the middle, at the point where those circles overlap, sits the Sorento.

‘It’s a reassuring car to tow with, pulling a big tourer with composure.

The Sorento can handle whatever it’s faced with because it has powerful brakes, the stability to cope with a sudden lane change, and four-wheel drive to help you make the most of its performance whatever the weather.

EmilysDad replied on 19/09/2021 20:27

Posted on 19/09/2021 17:38 by Extugger

Hope this quote helps:  

Kia’s large Sorento SUV has seen off stiff competition from the Volkswagen Passat Estate and BMW X5 to be named Britain’s best tow car.

Awarded by What Car? and the Camping and Caravanning Club, the latest seven-seat Sorento has been crowned Tow Car of the Year.

The model was was praised highly by the judges for its ‘huge breadth of abilities’.

The model tested, fitted with a 2.2-litre turbodiesel – was initially named as the category winner for being able to tow 1,900kg plus and costing up to £50,000, before then being named as the overall winner.

The Sorento is Kia’s flagship model in the UK and the title is set to make it even more appealing to buyers.

Steve Huntingford, editor of What Car?, said: ‘If you picture a Venn diagram with circles representing stability, performance, practicality and value, right in the middle, at the point where those circles overlap, sits the Sorento.

‘It’s a reassuring car to tow with, pulling a big tourer with composure.

The Sorento can handle whatever it’s faced with because it has powerful brakes, the stability to cope with a sudden lane change, and four-wheel drive to help you make the most of its performance whatever the weather.

Posted on 19/09/2021 20:27

The Sorento might very well be a capable tow car ... as said above, having never driven one I couldn't comment ...., but being TCOTY doesn't really mean that much ... there have been a few debatable TCOTY recently.

I did consider one before I bought my ML

EmilysDad replied on 19/09/2021 20:31

Posted on 19/09/2021 17:54 by JVB66

I was looking at reliability and costs rather than the snob appealwink

Posted on 19/09/2021 20:31

definitely no snob value when I bought mine ..... I wanted a slushbox auto & NOT FWD .. the Soreneto is a slip & grip 4x4 ... and as above, more cylinders than doors. The Kia failed on all counts plus the spare lives under the back of the car. And I've only ever lifted the bonnet to fill the washer bottle.

ADP1963 replied on 20/09/2021 08:54

Posted on 20/09/2021 08:54

Lucky You Andy with your towing figures. I have just come back from Cornwall ( my Son lives in Helston/Lizard) and I got 17 mpg but had the easiest and most comfortable  of drives possible. As you said I did not buy my vehicle for MPG.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook