New to caravanning need some advice please

SimonTB replied on 14/10/2019 17:23

Posted on 14/10/2019 17:23

Hi Everyone

Thank you for letting me join your club. As we have just purchased a new Buccaneer Commodore as our first caravan(it comes in late Feb 2020) now comes the hard part of buying a  Awning... I have been looking at the Issabella Commodore but have been told that we might have a problem on some sites as it is 3m wide and a lot of sites only allow 2.75m wide ones. Has anyone had any experience of this please.

And :-)

Do we buy blow up or poll awning ?

And lastly 

Which is the best porch awning to go for.

Many thanks in anticipation 

Cornersteady replied on 14/10/2019 18:23

Posted on 14/10/2019 18:23

we use a Suncamp 260 air porch awning which we use every time we go away, and a full pole awning for longer or full family events.

The eternal question, air or polesmile

We used out full awning for the first time in years last summer and what a faff on.

With both types you still have to thread the awning into the rails but then it is totally different. With the pole, you have to take them out, get them arranged in the right order which can take some time, then start with middle, roof first to caravan, then sides, slot the poles together, set the legs to right height, tension, and if in a heavy enough wind it will try and take off. Then peg it out. Shouting at OH is optional but usually happens.

With our air awning, thread it on then simple - blow it up. It is very easy and about ten pumps later it is up, or use an electric pump, then peg as normal. It is also heavier so won't blow away so easily.

Taking down is also easier, just let the air out, pull out from the rail and fold up. No poles to put away.

We certainty won't be using the full pole one again but we'll buy a larger air awning. We'll probably get a Kampa.

our porch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euIk1rYhS3w&t=224s 

replied on 14/10/2019 22:31

Posted on 14/10/2019 22:31

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Whittakerr replied on 15/10/2019 06:56

Posted on 15/10/2019 06:56

Hello Simon and welcome to caravanning.

I’ll had an Isabella Commodore for 7 or 8 years now and used it on Caravan Club sites, Camping and Caravan sites and commercial sites with no problems whatsoever, it’s a fantastic awning.

As for a porch awning I have the Isabella Magnum porch awning, again a great awning.

Isabella are not the cheapest but I’ve had the magnum for 10 years and the Commodore for 7 or 8 years and the both still look like new and I’ve not had any problems.

Hope this helps you decide.

ocsid replied on 15/10/2019 07:36

Posted on 15/10/2019 07:36

My initial reaction is "struth" a full awning for such a long van is inevitably going to be a great deal of canvas, so how often will that ever see the light of day?
Great for a week or more stay but it will always be quite a task to put up, take down and challenging to dry out at home if it needs to be put away wet or even just damp.
Therefore I suggest you think on it for longer, rather than proceed too readily.
If it is "go", then for me it would have to be quality, something that could be left up , with no concerns even if the wind builds up, therefore would be an Isabella.
That said, the fact that many Isabella awnings of that size will have seen just minimal use even over several years, I would be buying it "second-hand". Their quality is such that given a little amount of care, used ones can still be in all but brand new condition and offer a massive cost saving.
I would suggest you start with a porch awning, here I would further suggest you can't buy better than a Magnum and see how you cope and use that before going bigger.

richardandros replied on 15/10/2019 12:25

Posted on 15/10/2019 12:25

There’s so much choice out there, it’s difficult to give a precise answer and at the end of the day, I suspect appearance might be the deciding factor. As far as problems on site with a 3m deep awning go - we have a Kampa 390 Grande and haven’t, so far, come across any difficulties on Club sites.

I prefer air awnings - not only for ease of erection but also because if it’s windy, there’s less chance of damage to the van by poles banging against it.

We also have a Sunncamp Air 390 which we use in winter because it’s easier to dry if packed away wet - and also much easier to get on the awning rail than the very heavy Kampa.

Left over from our last van, we have a Sunncamp Swift 220 which we are actually using at the moment. Very light - two short poles and a fibreglass hoop, none of which touch the van. Ideal for storing wet boots and dog paraphernalia and since it only cost £85, 5 years ago, I am reluctant to get rid of it. It’s up and pegged out in 10 - 15 minutes.

ocsid replied on 15/10/2019 15:28

Posted on 14/10/2019 21:27 by lornalou1
Content has been removed.

Posted on 15/10/2019 15:28

But we do love to sit out and dine in a "tent" when the weather is nice and benefit from its cold wind protection. The issue is we prefer to sleep in the caravan during cold nights and lounge there in inclement weather, plus enjoy a longer season.

So having an awning gives us choice and flexibility together with the best of both worlds.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook