New caravan tyres - April 2023

eribaMotters replied on 05/04/2023 15:13

Posted on 05/04/2023 15:13

I know this has been touched on before, but:-

My 2016s look good, no cracks, lots of wear left, garage stored in the dark when not used, on axle stands for 5 years over winter etc, but the time has come due to the advice over 7 years.

I'm after the fairly standard 185 80 R14 100/102, but I'm experiencing supply problems of something suitable. I'm looking across a broad range, Falken, Uniroyal, Continental, Nankang and GT Radial.

Out in the sticks of Devon some suppliers do not offer home fitting, but this is not an issue as I can put the van on axle stands and take the wheels to a fitter. The problem relates to the date of manufacture.

On the e-bay dealers that do show dates we are looking at 2018 and 2019 year of manufacture. Could this backlog of stock be a Covid thing? I have seen one seller saying there correct size/spec tyres on e-bay are not suitable for caravans.

When I've phoned and e-mailed suppliers most say they do not know the date until the tyres arrive. I've managed to get one find Falken at wk 21 of 2022 and so far it looks like my best bet.

I'm aware of a fellow caravan owner who has gone through the same problem only a month ago. They eventually contacted there insurance company and were told the 7 years advice would count from when the tyres were fitted. 

Colin

replied on 05/04/2023 15:28

Posted on 05/04/2023 15:28

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Wherenext replied on 05/04/2023 16:18

Posted on 05/04/2023 16:18

They eventually contacted there insurance company and were told the 7 years advice would count from when the tyres were fitted. 

Really???  So I buy some tyres, say 3 years old, but don't fit them for 3 more years. So those tyres are supposed to last until at least year 13 after manufacture? I wouldn't trust that Insurance Company to pay out if they thought the tyres were a mitigating factor in any accident.

What did your friend say to them?

eribaMotters replied on 05/04/2023 16:46

Posted on 05/04/2023 16:46

[Deleted User User], the Micheldever group operate as https://www.protyre.co.uk/tyres 

There Okehampton [my local] branch phoned the warehouse to get the wk 21 of 2022 date.

Wherenext, my friends head is spinning at the nuances of getting back to a caravan and tyres is just one thing she is trying to cope with.

Colin

replied on 05/04/2023 17:11

Posted on 05/04/2023 17:11

The user and all related content has been Deleted User
near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook