MPPT Solar Panel Problems in Coachman 545

ItsADogsLife62 replied on 13/04/2023 20:15

Posted on 13/04/2023 20:15

Hi, not sure if anyone can help us but we’ve got a problem with our solar panel not charging the battery. We are awaiting a replacement charger under warranty as the battery doesn’t charge on electrics, so we are currently relying on battery/gas when on site. However, we have now noticed that the solar panel charging panel (MPPT Pro) is showing as being on standby. According to the instruction manual (which is quite basic) this is because there is less than 50% charge in the battery, but we have put on another fully charged battery and it’s still showing as being on standby.  Does anybody know how we can get it off standby and back to charging? It’s driving us bonkers as I’m disabled and my husband is having to change the battery 3 or 4 times on a trip, even with a new battery.

The caravan is only 2 years old.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

ocsid replied on 14/04/2023 07:58

Posted on 14/04/2023 07:58

If it were me, then I would be investing in a known high reliability, high quality solar controller.

An example being Victron BlueSolar MPPT 75/10, or better still the Bluetooth enabled version, so you can check what is actually happening. Price varies so buy with care.

Sadly, in my experience, not all solar controllers are created equal, by a long way!

The reliability of a solar controller can be a critical issue, sometimes with the collateral cost and hassle being valued more than the product costs itself. Like wrecking batteries or breaks.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook