Motorised Jockey wheel

ScreenName1B8EF729CF replied on 21/05/2021 00:10

Posted on 21/05/2021 00:10

We have recently bought our first caravan, and although it's fairly light at 950kg fully laden, we can manoeuvre it manually....it would help to have some assistance....I don't want to go to the expense of full motor movers.....so was wondering if anyone had any experience (good or bad) with motorised jockey wheels? My main queries would be......1 how do you wire it in....does it connect to the leisure battery or do I need a separate battery....Also can you wind it up to the highest point and lock it off for towing, like a manual one

Thanks in anticipation

JVB66 replied on 21/05/2021 08:41

Posted on 21/05/2021 08:41

I have not seen motorised jockey wheels ,unless used models, for years, they were quite heavy that I remember, some were wired via the leisure batt others had their own batt and were not a permanent fixture

One problem I think was they were not Good on anything but even/hard surfaces 

commeyras replied on 21/05/2021 10:05

Posted on 21/05/2021 10:05

Yes, I thought those things had died a death.  You can get an extension handle/arm that fits into the hitch ball on your caravan but they do not have any power.  If it is too much heaving your caravan around manually I'm afraid it is a motor mover.

PS you can give yourself a nice name and add a picture on here by going into 'My Profile'

eribaMotters replied on 21/05/2021 10:15

Posted on 21/05/2021 10:15

I briefly used a Bigfoot. I was pushing 900kg slightly uphill through gravel. It clipped onto a separate battery that I sat on the A frame cover. I used to have to lean down on it to get the noseweight grip I needed.

As stated above they are not really effective on anything other than a hard surface.

They are not really designed for carrying around in the boot of your car between sites, but for storage use. They definitely cannot be left in place when towing.

If you store your van at home on a nice hard flattish surface then it is worth keeping an eye out for one. They do come up second hand for low cost, about £100.

Colin

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook