Meguires polish

hyster replied on 08/01/2020 09:45

Posted on 08/01/2020 09:45

Hi has anyone used meguires marine polish on the front of the caravan to bring the shine back, if so which one and did it do the trick  thanks

cyberyacht replied on 08/01/2020 18:30

Posted on 08/01/2020 18:30

I presume you are referring to ABS plastic. My old caravan was a bit dull and, despite copious amounts of Mer and elbow grease, the mirror shine never returned although it looked passably shiny.

richardandros replied on 09/01/2020 12:52

Posted on 09/01/2020 12:52

From my yachting experience, oxidation of the gel coat of GRP is a common problem.  A fine rubbing compound should do the trick, before applying a good quality wax polish.  Polish alone, won't do it.  I would be very careful, however,  to use a very fine compound because I doubt that the gel coat on caravans will be as thick as on boats. I think you might find that T-Cut is a bit too aggressive, but a visit to any yacht chandlers will provide you with an array of finer alternatives.

Another tip is to avoid using common detergents when washing the van - nearly all contain salt which will very quickly remove the polish you have spent ages applying.  I only ever use good, old fashioned, Stardrops - because that doesn't contain any salt.

richardandros replied on 09/01/2020 14:24

Posted on 09/01/2020 13:36 by Briang

I know this isn't a polish but I have been using this for a while I have never used a polish just give the van a good cleaning with this and the sparkle is there.

http://www.cloverchem.co.uk/2013/uk/product_detail.asp?prod_code='403'&range_sub='31'http://www.cloverchem.co.uk/2013/uk/product_detail.asp?prod_code='403'&range_sub='31'

Posted on 09/01/2020 14:24

If you look at the data sheet, this also contains salt.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook