Main Caravan Door Internal Child Lock

Keith1408 replied on 06/06/2024 11:26

Posted on 06/06/2024 11:26

Has anyone come across a child lock for the main door into the caravan? My 2 year old has a tendency to open the door quite often and we'd like to be able to stop her from doing this in case she wonders off if we're getting ready in the van and we don't want our 1 year old to fall out of the van if the door has been opened.

I don't particularly want to use a barrel bolt as I'd have to drill/screw into the door/caravan. I have done some searches online but can't find any products. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers in advance.

Tinwheeler replied on 06/06/2024 11:43

Posted on 06/06/2024 11:43

I understand your issue but please don’t forget that a caravan door needs to be easily opened at all times in case an emergency escape is needed. Personally, I’d be very wary of fitting such a device even if it exists.

Cornersteady replied on 06/06/2024 13:06

Posted on 06/06/2024 13:06

Fully agree with the above but depending on what is to the sides of your door (ours has the 'kitchen wall' with the fridge on one side and the back 'wall' of the rear diner on the other and if so you could use a temporary home child stair gate that is pressure mounted (is held in place from screws that face outwards) or something similar but beware caravans are not as solid as home walls and you could cause damage quite easily and screwing into outside walls is not advisable at all. Caravan doors are also not as wide as the stairs at home. Do you have a door fly screen? or put a large box in front on the door?

There is no easy solution (from experience) other than good parenting and keeping an eye out at all times. They will grow out of it eventually!   

Keith1408 replied on 06/06/2024 14:16

Posted on 06/06/2024 14:16

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm hoping they grow out of it soon. 

Navigateur Caravanner, no it does not. 

DaveCyn replied on 06/06/2024 18:59

Posted on 06/06/2024 18:59

SAS Security products do a cover that fits over the internal door lock preventing it from being opened whilst it's attached. 

Easy to fit and remove for an adult but very difficult for a young child

SAS products.com

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook