Lunar Warranty

mylosdad replied on 09/02/2020 16:15

Posted on 09/02/2020 16:15

My 2016 Lunar Clubman is no longer covered by the ‘new Lunar Company’ warranty.

However, CC Legal Help Line advised me that my warranty contract it with the Dealer from whom I bought the Caravan.

Has any one, successfully, had any  warranty work done on a pre 2017 caravan since Lunar was rescued?
I know of two others who have had very stiff resistance from their dealer regarding warranty work which would previously been covered by Lunar.

John

mylosdad replied on 09/02/2020 16:27

Posted on 09/02/2020 16:27

I have read the previous posts regarding this issue, i would still be interested to hear about any recent experiences.

Tigi replied on 09/02/2020 21:10

Posted on 09/02/2020 21:10

I take it you have a water ingress problem as this is the only issue that would have been covered anyway. There is a post tonight on the "Caravan Talk Forum" where an e mail has been received from Lunar stating they will only honour the three year warranty and not the additional three year water ingress. The dealer has to act to comply with the warranty but if the warranty is withdrawn (unless specifically provided by the dealer) then its a tricky one, if a company goes bust the warranty usually dies with it unless insurance based.

W8493 replied on 10/02/2020 11:09

Posted on 10/02/2020 11:09

Although I can't answer your question directly, I still think it useful to post my response so as to provide useful information regarding warranties vs your rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 (CRA 2015) if you (or anyone else reading this) buys a new caravan in the future.                                                                                                    I bought a Lunar Clubman ES in 2017 from Campbells Caravans & Motorhomes, Preston, & collected it from their Blackburn site. From the start there were issues with build quality, which we reported to Campbells and returned it for repair within the first 6 months of purchase. The quality issues continued, such as edging strips detaching, front windows out of alignment, etc, and it culminated with the large skylight's surround becoming detached in 2019.
I found the manager of Campbells After-sales team to be unhelpful to say the least. I was expected to take the caravan back to them at my expense and, in his email, he referred to Lunar "warranties" having expired and that the handbook stated returning the caravan for repair was to be at the customer's expense.  
Thankfully, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 is law (which the after-sales manager referred to as 'guidance' in one of his emails) and the law over-rides any warranty or handbook contents.  The CRA 2015 clearly states that the seller should reimburse any travel costs when the purchaser returns a product regarding inherent quality faults.  After Campbells refused the opportunity to put the faults right under the CRA 2015, I demanded a refund of the purchase cost that I had paid for the caravan 2 years previously.                                                The manager didn't respond to my last email demanding a refund, and then later sent me an unrelated, and irrelevant  email telling me that Lunar Caravans had gone into administration the day before. This made no difference to my case, as my contract was with Campbells, the retailer, and not Lunar Caravans, the manufacturer.
So, as I had intentionally paid a deposit for the caravan by credit card, I went to the bank instead and demanded a refund from them under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. They were very helpful and asked for evidence, which I was able to provide in full with regard to my dealings with Campbells Caravans & Motorhomes and the history since purchase of the caravan's inherent quality issues.
The bank accepted my evidence about the faults in the caravan and accepted that they were inherent faults relating to poor quality of build.  The caravan was sold privately; I received the money it was sold for, and the bank made up the rest of the money so that I received back the full purchase price plus a little extra towards the cost of ancillary items.
Under the CRA 2015, when you purchase a caravan, and you find faults, you have up to 30 days to return the caravan and receive a full refund, in most cases.  If you find quality issues you must notify the seller within the first 6 months, the onus is on the seller to prove that the faults were not inherent at the time of your purchase.  The CRA 2015 is specific about your rights of purchase (which, if you have followed, protects you for up to 6 years - in England and Wales - following purchase) so make yourself aware of the contents, as forewarned is forearmed.  You do have rights under the law that over-ride 'warranties' and seller 'handbooks.'                                        Finally, remember to make a note of any faults you find as soon as possible after purchase, and take photographs if possible; note dates that you contacted the seller, who you spoke to and a note of what was said; note dates you returned the caravan to the seller, what was done and when it was collected.  In this way, if you want to have a refund, you have contemporaneous notes of the action that was taken along the way.                                                                       

tigger45 replied on 23/09/2022 15:19

Posted on 23/09/2022 15:19

We have had the same thing with our Lunar that we purchased new in 2017. I t has been fault after fault, In have at least 8 pages of repair works that have had to be done on the van, including last year where cracks were found on the roof of the caravan and we had very very bad water ingress which we had to pay to have repaired at a cost of around £1400 as we were told the sale of goods act did not apply as Lunar had gone out of business, we have just had it serviced again and now we have been told  that there are cracks on the roof at the back of the caravan this time which has caused damp and will cost another £1348.00 to put right. We will certainly be taking on board what has been said about the  CRA 2015.

Two very very cheesed off Lunar owners.

TimboC replied on 24/09/2022 09:38

Posted on 23/09/2022 15:19 by tigger45

We have had the same thing with our Lunar that we purchased new in 2017. I t has been fault after fault, In have at least 8 pages of repair works that have had to be done on the van, including last year where cracks were found on the roof of the caravan and we had very very bad water ingress which we had to pay to have repaired at a cost of around £1400 as we were told the sale of goods act did not apply as Lunar had gone out of business, we have just had it serviced again and now we have been told  that there are cracks on the roof at the back of the caravan this time which has caused damp and will cost another £1348.00 to put right. We will certainly be taking on board what has been said about the  CRA 2015.

Two very very cheesed off Lunar owners.

Posted on 24/09/2022 09:38

If you can, cut your losses and get rid of it.

We had a 2013 Lexon 530. First the awning rail started coming off which we had fixed under warranty. Then the roof sagged, and water leaked through the skylight. Finally, we were told at the next service that the back panel had cracked. By now, Lunar were bust so the dealer told us to use a car body shop for the fix and reckoned it would cost £600. They had a nearly new Bailey on the forecourt so we negotiated a deal. I reckon we lost £1000.00.

The dealer then took around 6 months to sell it, as they put it up without warranty. They lost money too

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook