Loss of wheels

edenrover replied on 04/03/2023 11:28

Posted on 04/03/2023 11:28

I have just had caravan serviced yesterday picking it up last night got about half a mile and both wheels on near side came off results are both wheels need replaced and some trim to replace the vans motor movers took most impact. Has anyone else had this and what should I look for when I go to see it on Monday the service company has accepted full responsibility and will put it right anyone who has had this issue I would appreciate your input as to what could be an issue

Arch replied on 04/03/2023 12:27

Posted on 04/03/2023 12:27

I had a similar problem with my car after tyres changed several years ago luckily they never came off but made an awful noise the wheel nuts were loose they had been put on with the air driver but not torqued by hand since then I have always made sure that I witness it.

I have my caravan serviced by a mobile service engineer he always gets me to watch him torque the wheel nuts and sign for it.

ABM replied on 04/03/2023 16:36

Posted on 04/03/2023 16:36

The Good Owners Handbook [ wink ] tells us to check wheel nuts at least in the first 20 or so miles after a service/ removal!

It's become much more of a problem since Old Mechanics, you know the ones who always used wheel braces 'cos they didn't have power tools, retired from the trade undecided

Amesford replied on 04/03/2023 18:14

Posted on 04/03/2023 18:14

Friends of ours had the same problem but only one wheel came off after a few hundred yards up the road after picking up their new van, they were offered a newer model but did not like the layout so they had a new mover fitted as it took most of the shock plus a cash settlement. I would get a mobile engineer (workshop approved) to check it over after the repairs and buy yourself a torque wrench 

Stormin Norm replied on 06/03/2023 16:13

Posted on 06/03/2023 16:13

My servicing dealer always makes me check the wheel nuts before I leave their premises, plus I then use my own torque wrench and check them again after about an hours driving or about 30 miles driving on the way home. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook