Lock n Level

munro21 replied on 07/06/2020 14:02

Posted on 07/06/2020 14:02

Hi all,  just been looking at the lock n level system for leveling up the caravan. I know they are not cheap, but has anyone used one and are they as easy as they seem.

replied on 07/06/2020 14:26

Posted on 07/06/2020 14:26

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

EmilysDad replied on 11/06/2020 13:05

Posted on 11/06/2020 12:49 by Whittakerr

Its a great bit of kit. i've had one for about 4 years now and its never let me down.

Posted on 11/06/2020 13:05

..... no pun intended I presume 😉

richardandros replied on 11/06/2020 13:10

Posted on 11/06/2020 13:10

I’ve been using it for over 5 years and it’s the best bit of kit - I have bought plus the back up from Delter Coulson is outstanding. The easiest and safest way to jack up a van both for levelling and fitting the wheel locks - especially on soft ground.

I actually have the Combo system for sale since I have recently had fitted the E &P hydraulic levelling system.

richardandros replied on 11/06/2020 14:38

Posted on 11/06/2020 14:38

Munro - now that I'm back at my computer, I can give you a more detailed response.  You don't say whether you have  single or TA van.  If I'm honest - if you have a single axle van, you could probably get away without using L&L, although L&L does make it easier.  Where it comes into its own is if you have a TA van, with AWD motor movers fitted - preventing you from getting at the jacking points, L&L is one of the safest and easiest ways to jack the van to fit the twin Alko locks.  (E&P excepted, of course - but that's moving into a totally different cost equation!)

Other members have different methods of achieving that, but in my experience, the L&L is brilliant for jacking the van on soft ground - no danger of an accident through the van toppling off a jack etc.

I agree with Another David - I use a piece of industrial rubber matting for when we are on a hardstanding, to protect the air bag and I would also advise - if you are using the double air bag to ALWAYS make sure that the transfer valve is closed so that if, in the rare event of one of the bags leaking, the other one remains inflated, thus preventing the van settling onto the corner steadies.

I have been absolutely delighted with the performance of the L&L and the only reason I have switched to the E&P system is a recent knee injury prevents me from kneeling down to position the air bag etc.

davetommo replied on 11/06/2020 16:55

Posted on 11/06/2020 13:10 by richardandros

I’ve been using it for over 5 years and it’s the best bit of kit - I have bought plus the back up from Delter Coulson is outstanding. The easiest and safest way to jack up a van both for levelling and fitting the wheel locks - especially on soft ground.

I actually have the Combo system for sale since I have recently had fitted the E &P hydraulic levelling system.

Posted on 11/06/2020 16:55

How do you turn the wheel on a single axle van if you are using a lock and level

Ernie S replied on 11/06/2020 19:12

Posted on 11/06/2020 16:55 by davetommo

How do you turn the wheel on a single axle van if you are using a lock and level

Posted on 11/06/2020 19:12

You still need to line the caravan up as you normally would then move the caravan back, slide the bag under and bring the caravan forward again. There's several videos on YouTube which show this. The one made by Dan Trudgeon is probably the best.

I've had the Lock n Level for a couple of years and it's without doubt the best method of leveling I've ever used. Quick, straightforward to use and very accurate.  You've obviously got to balance that against price and make a choice. Probably worth mentioning that as well as the cost of the bag, if you haven't got one then you are also going to need a 12V compressor.

munro21 replied on 13/06/2020 21:55

Posted on 11/06/2020 14:38 by richardandros

Munro - now that I'm back at my computer, I can give you a more detailed response.  You don't say whether you have  single or TA van.  If I'm honest - if you have a single axle van, you could probably get away without using L&L, although L&L does make it easier.  Where it comes into its own is if you have a TA van, with AWD motor movers fitted - preventing you from getting at the jacking points, L&L is one of the safest and easiest ways to jack the van to fit the twin Alko locks.  (E&P excepted, of course - but that's moving into a totally different cost equation!)

Other members have different methods of achieving that, but in my experience, the L&L is brilliant for jacking the van on soft ground - no danger of an accident through the van toppling off a jack etc.

I agree with Another David - I use a piece of industrial rubber matting for when we are on a hardstanding, to protect the air bag and I would also advise - if you are using the double air bag to ALWAYS make sure that the transfer valve is closed so that if, in the rare event of one of the bags leaking, the other one remains inflated, thus preventing the van settling onto the corner steadies.

I have been absolutely delighted with the performance of the L&L and the only reason I have switched to the E&P system is a recent knee injury prevents me from kneeling down to position the air bag etc.

Posted on 13/06/2020 21:55

I have a single axle van.  The idea of the L&L was for pitching on Grass as it seems a good bit of kit.

lornalou1 replied on 14/06/2020 11:05

Posted on 11/06/2020 13:10 by richardandros

Posted on 14/06/2020 11:05

How can it be the easiest and safest way to level or jack up a caravan when there is the E&P system where you just press one button and it does everything itself. undecided

eurortraveller replied on 14/06/2020 13:33

Posted on 13/06/2020 21:55 by munro21

I have a single axle van.  The idea of the L&L was for pitching on Grass as it seems a good bit of kit.

Posted on 14/06/2020 13:33

There are people who would agree with you and find it really effective - and yet there are others who manage perfectly well without it, and on uneven grass just tow forward with one wheel on to a piece of old floorboard.

The kit is what it is but the people vary. I know what the kit is like but I'm afraid I don't know what you are like.  Either way I hope you enjoy your travels 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook