Levelling up a twin axle caravan.

clivejen replied on 24/05/2024 17:10

Posted on 24/05/2024 17:10

I have been looking at options to level a twin axle caravan. The locknlevel system looks to be the easiest to set up. Would like to hear what other members think of this system as to user friendly, cost, and durability.  Also what system are you using and do you like it. 

eurortraveller replied on 24/05/2024 17:21

Posted on 24/05/2024 17:21

Short piece of wooden floorboard under wheel works well for single axle caravan, but would imagine a longer piece needed for twin wheels.

flatcoat replied on 24/05/2024 18:07

Posted on 24/05/2024 18:07

Lock n level is good however….. it depends on what type of pitches you are likely to use whether you actually need any levelling devices. The vast majority of club hardstanding/gravel pitches are pretty level so unless you are very pedantic you are unlikely to need any levelling. On gravel pitches it is often quickest/easiest to scrape away the gravel on the high side and pile it up on the low side. I had an LnL used it once and never bothered again. The site we were in 2 weeks ago had cross falls on gravel pitches. The pitch next to ours was occupied when we arrived by a van with ramps under the wheels, blocks under the steadies. I simply assessed where the wheels would end up, scraped the gravel and parked the van. The guy with the van on ramps and blocks looked rather crestfallen after i had set up in 2 mins against what I suspect was a rather longer process for him. Yes, we still had a slight cross fall but nothing that stopped the shower or kitchen sink draining fully. As with many aspects of life, don’t overthink or over perfect it. 

Arch replied on 24/05/2024 18:58

Posted on 24/05/2024 18:58

I use the Locknlevel system on a single axle and it works a treat so easy to align the Alko wheel lock and level the caravan I've seen them in use on twin axle, they are expensive but certainly for me I find it so much easier than the planks of wood I used before.

flatcoat replied on 24/05/2024 23:10

Posted on 24/05/2024 23:10

The other aspect of not needing LnL is to ensure your insurance doesn’t need Alko wheel locks. Plenty of other security options that insurers accept. 

richardandros replied on 25/05/2024 05:57

Posted on 25/05/2024 05:57

I used L 'n L on our previous Barcelona and for a couple of years on our present Knaus TA van. I have to fit twin Alko locks as a condition of the insurance on the current van and it was easy to do so. Never had a problem with the L 'n L in the seven or so years I used it. However, mobility problems more or less forced me down the path of having E&P fitted if we were to continue caravanning and I have to say that, although expensive, it's been absolutely brilliant. I can fit both locks and level the van in about five minutes. I opted for the Compact system which just levels laterally and saved over £1000 on the full system. Levelling for and aft is simple using the jockey wheel and you get an audible 'beep' when level is achieved. If I ever bought another van (which I very much doubt we will be doing), I would have E&P installed from the start.

HappyDoggie replied on 29/05/2024 08:03

Posted on 29/05/2024 08:03

I use LnL on a twin axle van. Simple to set up and using first just one bag enables an Alco wheel lock to be installed very easily. 

DaveT replied on 30/05/2024 14:54

Posted on 30/05/2024 14:54

I have a twin axle and for levelling I use the plastic wedges (fiamma?). So far I have not found a pitch where I need more than a few inches difference. The trick is to saw one of the ramps across (approximately half way along the length). The whole ramp is placed under the wheel that is in the direction of travel. The half ramp is fitted between the two wheels. The motor mover then drives the wheels up the full ramp and half ramp. If any more height is needed, you place the remaining half of the ramp to extend the half ramp already in use. Cheap, easy to store and use and not as much of a faff as some systems. Putting on the wheel locks is a PIA because you still need a jack. One day, all vans will come with the hydraulic leveller fitted as standard, until then.....................

Navigateur replied on 30/05/2024 15:10

Posted on 30/05/2024 15:10

I use the traditional selection of wooden planks, a couple with one end cut at an angle to make a ramp up. Can't afford many trips to Club sites because of price increases, and CLs often have quite a difference across the axle.

I fit the first lock on the rear wheel, having placed it on top of a bit if rigid plastic sheet.  Then can move van forward to align second lock with rear wheel skidding along. All one needs is the motor mover.

ChemicalJasper replied on 31/05/2024 18:24

Posted on 31/05/2024 18:24

I have always though the LnL to be too high a risk - if it developed a leak / puncture and dropped the wheel(s), all the weight of the van would be through the corner steadies, which for most vans are not designed to carry the load of the van and could result in damaging the floor.

I have some milenco stackers and other bits of wood, which have never caused me any issues with a Bailey 646 twin axle.  

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook