Levelling ramps

Steve987 replied on 27/06/2021 17:18

Posted on 27/06/2021 17:18

Hi everyone, 

I am new to caravanning and am looking to buy a levelling ramp, but I don’t know if I need a single ramp or a pair. I would have thought that I would only need one ramp to raise one side of the caravan to make it steady. However, I’m a little confused as to why some are sold in pairs. Can anyone share their thoughts or advice please?

Many thanks

Steve

Cornersteady replied on 27/06/2021 17:40

Posted on 27/06/2021 17:40

We bought two but now only take only with us in the caravan as we found we only ever used one. If you have two then you can stack them and so get even higher on one side to level your caravan. I think they are sold in pairs as motorhomers use them at the front? 

It depends on what type of site you intend to use and the surface with hardstandings usually being more level than grass. Most club sites, or the ones I've been on only require one and really only then because I can feel when things aren't level and don't like doors inside swinging open. Most people on club sites don't bother. If however you're going to other more 'rougher' sites it might be worth having two.

Usually on the club site web page it will say whether ramps are advised or needed, and/or reading the reviews may give you a hint.

Cornersteady replied on 27/06/2021 17:47

Posted on 27/06/2021 17:47

Another thing, do you have a motor mover or are you going to use the car to push/pull the caravan up the ramp? Either way does take some practice. I have a mover and I find I have to hold the ramp in place while the the mover moves it up the ramp as the ramp will twist under it.

When you have got it to the desired position, a good ides to chock the wheel to stop it moving back.

Tinwheeler replied on 27/06/2021 17:51

Posted on 27/06/2021 17:51

On a severe slope you can stack them so 2 might be needed, MHs sometimes need 2 if the whole of one end needs raising. It’s obviously nothing at all to do with the manufacturer selling more if they’re sold in pairs😳.

If you're a bit handy with hammer, saw and screws, you could make your own.

63ellsbells replied on 27/06/2021 18:03

Posted on 27/06/2021 18:03

If you're a bit handy with hammer, saw and screws, you could make your own.

That’s what I chose to do…offcut of scaffold board, cut into 3 pieces, around 3ft, 2ft & 1ft…shaped and fixed together with a small stop end on the top. Gives a nice steady base and 3 flat surfaces to ensure a level pitch with no twisting/rolling back. Think I’ve only ever had the ‘Van on points 1 & 2 on Club sites…

And only ever needed the one…

Steve987 replied on 27/06/2021 18:20

Posted on 27/06/2021 18:20

Thanks everyone, that is all great advice. I will buy one and see how it goes. Best wishes, Steve 

Cornersteady replied on 27/06/2021 19:18

Posted on 27/06/2021 18:20 by Steve987

Thanks everyone, that is all great advice. I will buy one and see how it goes. Best wishes, Steve 

Posted on 27/06/2021 19:18

Thanks for posting back, you may know but there are other ways to level, you can a mechanical leveller like the one from Millenco but it's heavy, or a better lighter solution is the lock and level device which is an 'airbag' that drive over and then inflate. See here.

eribaMotters replied on 27/06/2021 19:20

Posted on 27/06/2021 19:20

As you have found they usually come in pairs. A single will usually do the job and If you can buy one with a chock that clips onto the leveller. I believe mine is a Froli.

Colin

Whittakerr replied on 28/06/2021 08:38

Posted on 28/06/2021 08:38

My ramp went in the bin when i bought a Lock 'n' Level. very easy to use and helps if you are using an Alco wheel lock, which is a nightmare when using a ramp.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook