Legal advice regarding awnings

JR007 replied on 02/09/2020 07:34

Posted on 02/09/2020 07:34

Good morning,

long story,

I purchased a new caravan (Elddis Avante 866) from a dealer (I will not name for now) and we required an awning. 
We opted for an air awning, the had a Vango awning on display so we said that we liked that.

The salesman ordered the awning. I picked up the caravan and began to holiday. We soon discovered that the awning fel on half the bunk windows deemed unusable for kids sleeping in bunks, also very difficult to seal.

The 3 rd time we used the awning in torential rain it began to leak around seams. I contacted the dealer, a year down the line and I have only just managed to send the awning back to be repaired. I am still in despute that we were sold an awning not fit for purpose. 
a) We bought the caravan and awning from the same dealer

b) We relied on their expertise to supply us with the correct awning

Up to now the person ( who will remain namless) after 12months of emails has been very unhelpfull.

What do I do now?

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 02/09/2020 08:12

Posted on 02/09/2020 08:12

Prepare to go further like court or accept what they’ve offered. You’ve left it a bit late to be honest, sorry😕. If you paid by Credit Card or Debit Card(under some circumstances) you may have support there. Good luck👍🏻

ABM replied on 02/09/2020 08:16

Posted on 02/09/2020 08:16

OR for advice you could try the Clubs Legal Department.

Moderator Edit:

Part post Deleted User.

eurortraveller replied on 02/09/2020 08:21

Posted on 02/09/2020 08:21

Sell it on e Bay if you can. Put it down to experience. Start again. 

JR007 replied on 02/09/2020 09:30

Posted on 02/09/2020 08:12 by Rocky 2 buckets

Prepare to go further like court or accept what they’ve offered. You’ve left it a bit late to be honest, sorry😕. If you paid by Credit Card or Debit Card(under some circumstances) you may have support there. Good luck👍🏻

Posted on 02/09/2020 09:30

Hi thanks for your reply, no I emailed them and contacted them straight away a year ago, I have a long list of emails and because of covid the company closed down thats why its taken so long

allanandjean replied on 02/09/2020 09:42

Posted on 02/09/2020 09:30 by JR007

Hi thanks for your reply, no I emailed them and contacted them straight away a year ago, I have a long list of emails and because of covid the company closed down thats why its taken so long

Posted on 02/09/2020 09:42

Hi, it would seem from your OP that the dealer supplied the awning you 'liked' and, quality issues aside, not sure what grounds you have to 'reject' it??

Whist no comfort to you its a lot better than the many posters, on various forums, complaining of being sold a van that's too heavy.

These awnings seem to be popular so euror's advice may be the way to go. 

Whittakerr replied on 02/09/2020 12:45

Posted on 02/09/2020 12:45

When I bought my porch awning I did the checks to make sure it didn’t go over a window, however I’ve seen a few posts on forums where people are quite happy with an awning going over a window. As for fit for purpose, does it state in the caravan or awning manuals / instructions that it must not go over a window? If not its just personal preference and nothing to do with fit for purpose.

As for leaking around the seams, this can happen with new awnings. I have an Isabella full awning that leaked on a seam the first time it was used in the rain. I contacted Isabella and they explained that this could happen but once the stitching had been soaked it would swell slightly and self seal. It did and I have had no other problems in the 8 or so years I have had it.

JR007 replied on 02/09/2020 12:49

Posted on 02/09/2020 09:42 by allanandjean

Hi, it would seem from your OP that the dealer supplied the awning you 'liked' and, quality issues aside, not sure what grounds you have to 'reject' it??

Whist no comfort to you its a lot better than the many posters, on various forums, complaining of being sold a van that's too heavy.

These awnings seem to be popular so euror's advice may be the way to go. 

Posted on 02/09/2020 12:49

I liked the style of awning and relied on this very large company’s expertese to supply me with the correct one to fit the caravan that they supplied. 

replied on 02/09/2020 13:00

Posted on 02/09/2020 12:49 by JR007

I liked the style of awning and relied on this very large company’s expertese to supply me with the correct one to fit the caravan that they supplied. 

Posted on 02/09/2020 13:00

Many have awnings that restrict windows. I didn't as I chose suitable awnings. I do not blame the dealer. 

It is not unusual for new awnings to admit water through stitched seems on first usage, common by the awning rail. After a good downpour they generally are fine after the stitching has swelled

Tinwheeler replied on 02/09/2020 13:03

Posted on 02/09/2020 13:03

To be perfectly honest, JR, I think Euro gave you the best advice. Get rid of and move on. There may well be a fault causing leaks but the awning choice was yours. To assume a salesman will guide you is naive, especially in the LV industry.

Frankly, if a bad choice of leaky awning is all that is wrong with your outfit, you've done well compared to folk who have major issues with new caravans and motorhomes. 

We've all made mistakes and in this case I think you need to let it go and save yourself further stress and hassle. Sorry if you think I’m being harsh, that’s not my intention.

JVB66 replied on 02/09/2020 14:26

Posted on 02/09/2020 12:49 by JR007

Posted on 02/09/2020 14:26

Did you specifically ask the salesman? that you wanted an awning to fit your specific caravan?

Many awnings will cover a window or windows when put up  as there is not (apart from Bailey) an awning that is specific to a model of caravan,

I think as others have said just move on,  and either sell, or as most do accept that the model you have bought will be a bit inconvenient when in position

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook