Kampa air awning leaking

ggregu replied on 21/08/2020 09:36

Posted on 21/08/2020 09:36

Hi, I have a Kampa air pro 390 awning purchased in May 2017. It gets plenty of use, particularly in the summer when it can be on the van for 6 weeks ( in this country though) and hence it has faded from black to a sludgy grey colour. I notice others on site have faded too.

On the last 2 occasions it’s been used, in December and now this summer, it has leaked after heavy rain. I use a roof liner to reduce condensation and always have the roof vents open again to reduce condensation. After the December trip, I water proofed it with Fabsil and hoped this would cure the problem. It doesn’t seem to have done that. I’m going to have another go at rep roofing this weekend, using a spray this time rather than a brush.

Has anyone else had similar issues? I know they make an all season model now but I really don’t want to shell out over £1000 to replace something that’s only 3 years old.

Thanks

Rufs replied on 21/08/2020 16:41

Posted on 21/08/2020 09:36 by ggregu

Hi, I have a Kampa air pro 390 awning purchased in May 2017. It gets plenty of use, particularly in the summer when it can be on the van for 6 weeks ( in this country though) and hence it has faded from black to a sludgy grey colour. I notice others on site have faded too.

On the last 2 occasions it’s been used, in December and now this summer, it has leaked after heavy rain. I use a roof liner to reduce condensation and always have the roof vents open again to reduce condensation. After the December trip, I water proofed it with Fabsil and hoped this would cure the problem. It doesn’t seem to have done that. I’m going to have another go at rep roofing this weekend, using a spray this time rather than a brush.

Has anyone else had similar issues? I know they make an all season model now but I really don’t want to shell out over £1000 to replace something that’s only 3 years old.

Thanks

Posted on 21/08/2020 16:41

have same awning but i think 6 years old, used ours a lot in Spain so yes the sun has taken its toll so it is a sludgey grey colour, but not too concerned about that. Yes ours started to leak but must say it had to rain very hard. I sprayed with the Kampa Hydrophobic water proof spray, quite expensive, but it was only the seams that had the problem so just sprayed them, not been in any heavy rain but all was ok in light rain.

Not used the roof lining, lots of folk said it made very little differance so never bothered, but condensation can be a problem, but not unique to Kampa awnings. 

P.S. should have said...sometimes ours is up for 2-3 months at a time, but normally in Spain but it does rain in the spring undecided

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook