it's windy out there!

EverySecondCounts replied on 26/06/2022 08:39

Posted on 26/06/2022 08:39

Hi all

I am currently sitting in a caravan in Galloway, in winds that can be described as force 9 of the Beaufort scale.  It has been blowing this level for the last 36 hrs.

On the first night, the awning collapsed as it was erected on the windward side of the caravan.  We took the opportunity to move to a different pitch, and are now side-on to the wind at the back of the caravan, the awning is up on the leeward side and has been for about 17 hrs, with a large storm strap keeping the frame from taking off.  Awning is on it's  last legs and needs replaced but the strap is doing the job (pegs are heavy duty, approx 1 ft long)

Question: is the caravan safe being side-on to the wind?  So far so good,  I don't think it is in danger of being blown over, the gusts are up to 48 mph.  I have the large van we tow it with acting as a windbreak as well, but need to drive the van later.  Wondering if I'm in danger of returning to scenes from a tornado?

No way would I tow in this weather.

Tinwheeler replied on 26/06/2022 10:24

Posted on 26/06/2022 10:24

No way would I put an awning up in those winds and I would park nose into the wind with the car parked across the front but the pitching arrangements might prevent it.

Takethedogalong replied on 26/06/2022 10:58

Posted on 26/06/2022 10:58

I am fascinated that the awning was taken down, and then put back up in such a wind🤷‍♀️ We saw tremendous damage to caravans where awnings had been left up in a gale at Hexham Racecourse. 

EverySecondCounts replied on 26/06/2022 11:14

Posted on 26/06/2022 11:14

Down on the windward side, erected on the leeward side. 

Wouldn't repeat on my own.

Main question refers to the caravan in the wind though.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook