Inflatable awnings

bubbles185 replied on 02/03/2017 12:47

Posted on 02/03/2017 12:47

Hello,

We have just had to downsize our car and consequently our caravan 😢

We desperately need an awning as ours will no longer fit & we have been looking at the Kampa inflatable awnings as a cheaper (and possibly easier) alternative to a traditional awning.

Has anyone had any experience of inflatable awnings?

Many thanks,

anglian replied on 02/03/2017 16:25

Posted on 02/03/2017 16:25

Hi. We have two awnings, a Ventura Marlin and a Fiesta Air made by Kampa. They are both good, but the Fiesta is easier, just, to put up and slightly quicker. Our Fiesta had been used as a display model for one weekend only, so was a great deal cheaper than a new one, which makes us slightly biased!

The things we like are it has only one  valve to pump up, which quickly erects the front part; it doesn't 'walk' along the awning when windy [we have back poles as an extra] and is really light to transportThe model we have [no longer available] is also deeper than the Marlin, 280cm, which makes a huge difference. It is also quick to deflate, just open the one valve again. So far it has been fine, but it will never be as sturdy as the Marlin, but you cannot compare as they are just different. It is also quicker when assembled to sort out the inside; no fiddly curtains.

I would recommend if you buy a Kampa to buy the custom fit carpet. They are brilliant and really lightweight.

Hope this helps

Simon100 replied on 02/03/2017 20:20

Posted on 02/03/2017 20:20

Have a look at Vango awnings as well. I have a Varkala and it is well built, robust when up and easy to erect and take down. 

bubbles185 replied on 03/03/2017 09:53

Posted on 03/03/2017 09:53

Thank for your our replies. At the moment we just have a porch awning that will fit any van and our Ventura (which we altered once)  is now too big - to be honest, it was never the same after it had been altered and rain has always pooled on the roof etc! (We have some very comic/tragic videos!!)

If we get an inflatable one with side annexes etc, to use it as a replacement for the full awning, my husband's only hesitation is that it won't fit as flush to the sides of the caravan as a pose to one that zips completely into the awning rail; there would be gaps down both sides, even though kampa have invented a "limpet" system. Has anyone got any thoughts on this please?

Thank you

richardandros replied on 04/03/2017 06:15

Posted on 04/03/2017 06:15

Bubbles - we don't have the new limpet system on our Kampa Air Pro 390 - but providing you peg the corners of the awning next to the van, slightly underneath the van, it has the effect of pulling the foam pads tightly against the side of the van and thereby sealing it.  Although I also have the additional poles that are meant to secure the sealing pads against the van, I have never had to use them.

EmilysDad replied on 04/03/2017 16:04

Posted on 04/03/2017 06:15 by richardandros

Bubbles - we don't have the new limpet system on our Kampa Air Pro 390 - but providing you peg the corners of the awning next to the van, slightly underneath the van, it has the effect of pulling the foam pads tightly against the side of the van and thereby sealing it.  Although I also have the additional poles that are meant to secure the sealing pads against the van, I have never had to use them.

Posted on 04/03/2017 16:04

I've yet to be able to use the poles that came with my Kampa inflatable. The few times we've used it, the infernal hard standings would have needed a flaming Hilti gun to get the pegs into the ground.

sussexrav replied on 05/03/2017 22:17

Posted on 05/03/2017 22:17

just purchased a cheap 390 airdream awning as we already have three other awnings :( 

! waiting to see how good it is in a few weeks time :)

ainer replied on 07/03/2017 16:12

Posted on 07/03/2017 16:12

We have one of the original Kampa 260 air awnings, about 3 years old now, and cant really fault it - as has been said, easy to inflate/erect, with the single inflation point, and to deflate. Surprisingly stable once erected. Currently thinking of something a little bigger, but it will be another Kampa, but probably a 'pro'.!

PATMAU replied on 10/03/2017 09:29

Posted on 10/03/2017 09:29

We have a Vango Verkala 280 which is practically full size on our Lunar Ariva. 

It is heavy to lift and is a two man job threading it through the awning rail.  You can't separate the sides from the roof so it has to go up in one piece.

Once through the rail it takes but a few mins to pump up the legs and roof braces.  Pegging out is no different in time then pegging out a traditional awning. 

It has foam pads which are held in place by thin poles to hold against the side of the van and the usual mudwall/draught excluder.

It is stable in windy conditions, although the corner legs can flex.

Would we buy another inflatable awning, no I don't think so.  It is cumbersome and time wise we could erect our full size Bradcot Classic in the same time.

Rod235 replied on 10/03/2017 09:55

Posted on 10/03/2017 09:55

Hi Bubbles 185,

have a scroll back and see plenty of replies, photos and comments on inflatable awnings from 20 days ago. All makes discussed. As you will see lots favour our preferred Bradcot Air Aspire  

Trini replied on 10/03/2017 18:35

Posted on 10/03/2017 18:35

Bubbles we had our Ventura Pacific enlarged by Trio in Pontefract (cost £140)and they did a great job, we bought extra room poles and it has served us well for the past 3 years since being altered.

May I suggest contacting Trio with a view to having your Ventura resized to suit your new van.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook