Heating for winter storage

2axles replied on 23/11/2021 18:46

Posted on 23/11/2021 18:46

Our ancient (1994) Colchester Fleetwood will be living on our drive over winter (unless we venture out somewhere).

It has the mains hookup connected so I was wondering if putting a couple of oil-filled radiators in there to keep it from getting too chilly might be an idea - or is it just pointless and a waste of money and the earth's resources?

I was also wondering about getting an electric dehumidifier.

Never had a caravan over winter before so looking for guidance from the more experienced.

Bakers2 replied on 23/11/2021 19:37

Posted on 23/11/2021 19:37

Hello and welcome.

There is a recent thread on here, can't find it at the mo 😤 but will keep looking, about this very subject. 

I believe concensus was it's a waste, as its on your drive you can check and air on nice sunny days. Lots of gaps, not always good insulation and warm air holds more moisture, I think summed up the comments.

We stored away from home, never heated but aired as and when.

Tinwheeler replied on 23/11/2021 19:41

Posted on 23/11/2021 19:41

Using either the van's own heater or a small oil filled radiator is an option. You only need to take the chill off but it’s personal choice really and many people don't bother. The only year we had mould form was the year we used the heating!

I'd not bother with any form of dehumidifier though as the van will have several ventilation holes and you will end up attempting to dehumidify the big wide world! Opening the van on milder days will help keep the air circulating.

eribaMotters replied on 23/11/2021 20:00

Posted on 23/11/2021 20:00

Basically as above. Don't bother with heating, crack a couple of windows open if you can, if not open the van up every so often. Open cupboard doors and remove upholstery if you can.

Colin

2axles replied on 23/11/2021 21:13

Posted on 23/11/2021 21:13

Thanks all, this is all great stuff - I have been airing the van on nicer days so will continue.

Cornersteady replied on 23/11/2021 21:46

Posted on 23/11/2021 21:46

We have always stored our caravans without any form of heating during storage for many years with no problems at all.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook