External thermal blinds for caravans

Daisy3 replied on 21/08/2021 14:01

Posted on 21/08/2021 14:01

Hi all.  Does anyone know if there is a 'Silver Screens' equivalent for caravans?  We are on a pitch with our front window facing the sun. We have blinds inside but the caravan instructions say not to leave them down fully in the sun (I guess it heats the windows too much?) and it's making the van very hot.  I always used external Silver Screens on my motorhome cab windows and wondered if there was an equivalent for caravans that I could put across the front window when on the pitch?  Many thanks.

Tinwheeler replied on 21/08/2021 14:21

Posted on 21/08/2021 14:21

As you will know, the insulated screens for MHs fix by being trapped in the cab doors and fitting around the mirrors. I’ve never heard of anything similar for caravans and don’t know how you would secure them if they exist. Also, it would be another bulky lump to carry with you for occasional use as you will not always be pitched with the front facing the sun.

For 40 years we pulled the blinds down to keep the sun out without a problem. If it concerns you, pull them part way to leave a gap for air flow.

SteveL replied on 21/08/2021 15:56

Posted on 21/08/2021 14:01 by Daisy3

Hi all.  Does anyone know if there is a 'Silver Screens' equivalent for caravans?  We are on a pitch with our front window facing the sun. We have blinds inside but the caravan instructions say not to leave them down fully in the sun (I guess it heats the windows too much?) and it's making the van very hot.  I always used external Silver Screens on my motorhome cab windows and wondered if there was an equivalent for caravans that I could put across the front window when on the pitch?  Many thanks.

Posted on 21/08/2021 15:56

I was always wary of having them fully closed on our caravan for the reasons you quote. They do get incredibly hot. Similarly with the side windows on our MH. However, their design means you can have part solid, part fly blind, which means you can leave a narrow strip at the top to let the heat build up out.

nelliethehooker replied on 21/08/2021 20:41

Posted on 21/08/2021 20:41

You could of course close the curtains, leaving the blinds rolled up, and even pull down the fly screens too. They would not reflect the sunlight back into the windows, which would I hope he in the ventilation position in any case allowing some air flow through the van.

cyberyacht replied on 23/08/2021 17:02

Posted on 23/08/2021 17:02

How about making fabric sleeves that slide over the individual windows?

I know in days of yore there was a track at the top of the windows. The French often had slide in blinds for the outside of the windows.

harry1000 replied on 31/08/2021 09:55

Posted on 31/08/2021 09:55

If it becomes too hot, what we do is open the windows, pull the fly-screens down and the silvered blinds partially down. It makes the place noticeably cooler and doesn't damage either windows or blinds.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook