Power unit to assist towing vehicle

dixon88 replied on 11/07/2022 20:33

Posted on 11/07/2022 20:33

Hi, with the popularity of electric vehicles and the problems with getting a vehicle capable of towing a large caravan with a good mpg I just wondered if it would be feasible to have a caravan fitted with a battery power unit that could assist the towing vehicle? Obviously there would have to be some sort of communication between both vehicles and it would add to the cost of the caravan but would this be a solution?

JVB66 replied on 11/07/2022 20:35

Posted on 11/07/2022 20:35

I think some caravan manufacturers are looking at just that sort of system,as they have realised that it would be many years before  any EV would be able to match the versatility and convenience of an ICE tow vehicle

Tinwheeler replied on 11/07/2022 20:42

Posted on 11/07/2022 20:42

It’s been asked here before and, in my opinion, would be self defeating even if technically possible, which is doubtful within the realms of practicality.

Think about it - you would add the weight of some sort of energy generating unit or a huge battery, or both, to the caravan. Your tow car would then have a much heavier weight to pull and would need more power thus cancelling out anything you might add via the caravan. That’s why I believe it would be self defeating and that leaves aside any legalities of towing weights.

Check out the threads in the tow car section, especially the stickys and those by Chocolate Trees for current practical experience of towing with an EV.

Lutz replied on 12/07/2022 17:30

Posted on 12/07/2022 16:23 by hitchglitch

Agree with Tinwheeler. It’s a daft idea. On the other hand, add two wheels and you have a viable vehicle - a Motorhome. 

Posted on 12/07/2022 17:30

I wouldn't call it a daft idea. What's the difference between an electric motorhome and an electric car towing and electric caravan? Indeed, the latter even has the advantage of only having to charge and carry half the dead weight of two separate battery packs when driving solo. The only real disadvantage that I see is to always having to find two adjacent charging stations while en route as a complete outfit or else one would need to unhitch each time.

The biggest hang-up that I see is not really a technical one. There is currently no way one can legally equip a trailer with a motor drive. By definition, a trailer has no power unit of its own. A caravan with an electric motor would be a completely new class of vehicle, which is currently not catered for in any legislation.

Tinwheeler replied on 12/07/2022 17:58

Posted on 12/07/2022 17:58

"…..Apart from other aspects, the added weight of the electric drive is to be included in the gross weight, for example for determining the driving license category"

I thought this comment was just one example that suggested it’s not a case of simply shoving a battery or two aboard a conventional caravan. It talks about a specially constructed chassis to house the batteries and electric drive. It’s going to be humongously heavy. 

I cannot see the likes of Swift and Elddis putting this together, indeed I’m not sure I’d trust them to, even if UK law permitted its use.

I'm not suggesting this isn’t doable for heavy commercial use but, in the world of leisure caravans, it appears totally impractical.

Lutz replied on 12/07/2022 19:17

Posted on 12/07/2022 19:17

It's not really a development on the part of the caravan manufacturer alone but more of a joint development together with the chassis manufacturer.

hitchglitch replied on 13/07/2022 11:47

Posted on 13/07/2022 11:47

I’m not suggesting it can’t be done, just that it might make sense as an interesting research project but not as a viable solution. The only issue is lack of range of the towing vehicle which will be solved as batteries evolve or by fitting a larger battery. To strengthen a caravan to hold the weight of the battery, add a motor drive, coordinate propulsion between towing vehicle and van and resolve stability issues all seems a bit pointless.
Having a bigger battery than you may need for solo travel in the car is no different to having an SUV to tow a heavy van when all you need day to day is a city car.

JVB66 replied on 13/07/2022 11:58

Posted on 13/07/2022 11:47 by hitchglitch

I’m not suggesting it can’t be done, just that it might make sense as an interesting research project but not as a viable solution. The only issue is lack of range of the towing vehicle which will be solved as batteries evolve or by fitting a larger battery. To strengthen a caravan to hold the weight of the battery, add a motor drive, coordinate propulsion between towing vehicle and van and resolve stability issues all seems a bit pointless.
Having a bigger battery than you may need for solo travel in the car is no different to having an SUV to tow a heavy van when all you need day to day is a city car.

Posted on 13/07/2022 11:58

It will be no different if the range to make it a viable proposition was used on a motor caravan the weight of the battery would make a motor caravan very heavy before any thing is loaded in 

In the UK at this time with so many wanting to tow a another vehicle an EV motor caravan would have very little range as it is with tow cars at  present with frequent stops to recharge

replied on 13/07/2022 12:09

Posted on 13/07/2022 12:09

The user and all related content has been Deleted User
near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook