Electric fold bikes

erbert replied on 25/06/2018 17:45

Posted on 25/06/2018 17:45

hi any one out there using electric folding bikes?

are they any good?

any recommends or brickbats?

young thomas replied on 25/06/2018 19:38

Posted on 25/06/2018 19:38

in think there are two issues here....

firstly, are folding bikes any good? would you rather a folding bike over a normal one? I certainly wouldn't, as I don't rate the stability of small wheeled bikes.

secondly, irrespective of bike frame shape, are electric bikes any good?

imho, decent, modern, full sized electric bikes are blooming good these days and getting better in power, weight, range all the time.

however, there are also plenty of cheaper, heavier, bikes with less range.....many of them folders bought at caravan shows....

what is your budget?

if you spend £500 youll get a cheap Chinese (rebranded?) bike with a cheap battery and cheap electrics. take my word for it, costs have to be cut somewhere.....

many of these are fine for popping to the shops and may even take you 15 miles or more out and back, and depending on budget, requirements and (perhaps) previous bike experience, these may well be sufficient for your needs.

moving up, you could easily spend ten times this on an electric bike but £2k will see you with a really good bike with a top quality drive system, great brakes and reliable electronics that should last you years....

ive had my Bosch driven bike for almost 4 years and have covered over 11,000 km.....it's my everyday transport at home and when away in our MH....

even if you need folders for space reasons, I'd look at full sized bikes on a rack of some sort.

either way, take a test drive at an electric bike shop not at a caravan show...would you buy a caravan at a bike shop?wink

cyberyacht replied on 25/06/2018 21:58

Posted on 25/06/2018 21:58

We bought a couple of s/h Carrera Cross City folders (new Halfords about £650). Haven't used them much yet, once in the New Forest and once to Mont St Michel from Ardevon, and a day out to La Trinte from Carnac, so no serious biking to analyse. The main reason was so that they would fit in the garage of the MH without having to resort to a rack. I'm not as hard-core as BB.

H B Watson replied on 26/06/2018 12:21

Posted on 26/06/2018 12:21

My parents both had electric folders, personally I'd not bother with a folder if you don't need to, but as for electric they're fantastic, even the cheaper ones are very good.

peedee replied on 26/06/2018 19:51

Posted on 26/06/2018 19:51

I've got one from >A S bikes<, its handy to have a folder it means I do not have to put it on a rack if I don't want to. Its my every day run about and even just folding the pedals back helps it fit in the garage alongside my car. When I do put it on a bike rack I fold the handle bars down. Like CY I am not a long distance cyclist and probably the furthest I travel is 6 to 10 miles out and back. I have had it 2 to 3 years and have not had any problems with it.

peedee

Tammygirl replied on 26/06/2018 21:54

Posted on 26/06/2018 21:54

We are on our 3 set of ebikes. First set lasted 8 years, full sized but very basic in use.

Second set we still have are folders, they have 7 gears 3 speeds and cost £500 each (4 years ago) we used them daily when away anything from a couple of miles to 25 mile rides. Battery good for 30 + miles in low speed, between charges. very easy to ride very little effort required. 

We now have full sized pedelec ebikes (with a Bosch motor) again 7 gears 3 speed setting, nice good bikes. We have just today returned from 7 weeks away in France trying out these bikes, they do require more of an effort to ride than the folders due to the way they work.

The question is really what are you going to be using them for, (a) serious riding or (b) just fun to get around on and the odd bit of shopping/sightseeing.  If (b) then one of the £500 + folders will do the job well and for at least 5 years or more, ours are 4 years old and still got lots of use in them.

DavidKlyne replied on 26/06/2018 22:26

Posted on 26/06/2018 22:26

I agree with Tammygirl I think before you make any sort of decision you have to decide how you are likely to use them. If you are already keen cyclists then you will probably want to think about full size bikes. If on the other hand you just want something to pop to the shops on or a leisurely ride along a towpath or cycleway then the cheaper folding bikes may well be the answer. I see that you are a caravanner so you are perhaps concerned how you might transport them. Nearly all electric bikes ( at least those at reasonable cost) are heavier than there non electric versions so trying to get them on a roof rack might not be practical. Using a towbar mounted rack might be the answer if you car has sufficient nose weight allowance. Folding ones will be more flexible in terms of storage either in the car or the caravan although with the latter you have to consider the load allowance you have.

David

erbert replied on 27/06/2018 21:13

Posted on 27/06/2018 21:13

Thankyou, Some thoughts to ponder there.

We have a Swift 480 with possibility to hang a rack on the back, don’t fancy that for stability / niseweight probs.

Our detachable towbar has nowhere to mount a bike rack whilst towing.

Roof rack a no go as have back probs.

Tailgate rack not suitable for our VW T Roc.

Full size wheeled folders take too much room up.

Storage at home limited.

Thats why we’re considering smaller bikes and would only be used for gentle sight seeing etc.

Definitely not a serious cyclist.

Tammygirl replied on 28/06/2018 09:30

Posted on 28/06/2018 09:30

Thanks for getting back to the thread it is always appreciated.

Given your information above then IMO I would say something like the folding bikes we (and DK) have would suit you very well. If you haven't yet sourced any have a look at 'ProRider' that's what we have or AS bikes, ProRider is probably a bit cheaper than AS but there are other makes out there around the £550 mark. Ours fold up and fit in the back of my small Kia Picanto, you can buy bags to put them in which will keep the car clean.

Hope you get something and enjoy having them.

cyberyacht replied on 28/06/2018 12:16

Posted on 28/06/2018 12:16

I've found that our Carrera Cross-City's don't fold into a particularly compact package and loading them into the garage obviates the need for a gym membership.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook