Elddis Xplore 554 ?

replied on 08/02/2021 19:12

Posted on 08/02/2021 19:12

We are looking to buy our first brand new 4 berth caravan and would like to keep to our budget of about 20k, also we would like it be on the lighter side and was wondering what peoples thoughts were ? 

lornalou1 replied on 10/02/2021 15:49

Posted on 10/02/2021 15:49

It's not what we think as your the buyer and it has to meet your needs and they will be different from others. don't rush into it and if you like this van keep going and having another look, and spend an hour in it and see if it will be comfortable for you. Even pretend to use the bathroom and see if it's big enough, is there enough cupboard space for all your pots and pans and crockery and clothes and shoes, the list goes on and on. More important is the tow vehicle big/heavy enough to tow it and have you the licence to tow it. 

replied on 11/02/2021 11:55

Posted on 11/02/2021 11:55

We were hoping to hear the opinions of an owner as we cannot get out looking obviously and are currently in between caravans which is frustrating to say the least .

JVB66 replied on 11/02/2021 12:13

Posted on 11/02/2021 11:55 by

We were hoping to hear the opinions of an owner as we cannot get out looking obviously and are currently in between caravans which is frustrating to say the least .

Posted on 11/02/2021 12:13

Is there an Elddis owners forum? on the Web that may be of more helpwink

flatcoat replied on 11/02/2021 14:04

Posted on 11/02/2021 14:04

There is an Eldiss section on Caravan Talk forum (excellent forum) and no doubt the likes of Faceache will have Eldiss owners areas. However it is difficult to advise without knowing what you need, and what you would like to have in a caravan. Other than low weight you do not indicate your needs and preferences. 

asda160 replied on 13/02/2021 12:34

Posted on 08/02/2021 19:12 by

We are looking to buy our first brand new 4 berth caravan and would like to keep to our budget of about 20k, also we would like it be on the lighter side and was wondering what peoples thoughts were ? 

Posted on 13/02/2021 12:34

Hello JudenSteve

We are former Elddis owners.

Ours was a 2016 dealer special based on their Avante/Affinity models, so we can't speak for current build quality, styles and towing weights.

Our experience of the Elddis brand was - lovely to look at, towed great, quite light and well equipped inside but was beset with manufacturing faults....years 1,2 & 3 services all had excessive damp readings with the latter being 60% and then we had cracks in the front and rear panels, the skylight came loose due to poor application of adhesive, the front locker came off in my hands...all well documented faults.

Note that Elddis warranty is/was only 12months for items such as front and rear panels.

If the van you are considering has Whale heating please note that in the first two years we had a new control panel and boiler pcb plus if it's blown air the Whale system is quite intrusive noise wise.

We've had a Sterling , Elddis & Adria from new. The Elddis was going to be our last van but had the most manufacturing faults.

We consulted with a caravan service engineer on our storage site as to the brand they found the least work/faults on, then when pointed to the Adria brand we actually asked owners when away. I'm not trying to sway you away from Elddis but £20k is a good chunk of money so you do right asking for opinions.

We decided to ask a caravan engineer, as for us they could be more objective than say an owner who was lucky and had no faults so loved the brand or owners like us who had plenty of faults.

Keep on researching and be lucky!wink

handsj replied on 13/02/2021 18:26

Posted on 13/02/2021 18:26

We bought a 2016 Affinity 550 new that year, as our retirement caravan. We also had to endure the consequences of some serious structural design and workmanship problems.

We also learned the hard way about the 12 month warranty for front and rear panels. We had been taken in by the 'comprehensive 10 year damp warranty' and naively assumed our expensive new caravan would be trouble-free.

There are plenty of Eldiss caravans on the road so surely they can't all be as bad as the one we had? I guess they may be ok if you're lucky.

We now have a Knaus Starclass with which we're very happy.

Good luck!

robert clements replied on 02/01/2022 10:53

Posted on 02/01/2022 10:53

brand new 554 explore 2017 first trip flooded waist pipes not conected bed brackets broke new front window had tobe fitted as it sucked in and out with the heat repaired faults my self as i worked on trucks    BUT have waited sinceAPRIL 2021 for control panel for dometic fridge got intouch with elldis  got fobed off    as much yous as a chocolate tea pot    having seid this i like van and will keep it for good few years or untill next problem

JVB66 replied on 02/01/2022 11:32

Posted on 02/01/2022 10:53 by robert clements

brand new 554 explore 2017 first trip flooded waist pipes not conected bed brackets broke new front window had tobe fitted as it sucked in and out with the heat repaired faults my self as i worked on trucks    BUT have waited sinceAPRIL 2021 for control panel for dometic fridge got intouch with elldis  got fobed off    as much yous as a chocolate tea pot    having seid this i like van and will keep it for good few years or untill next problem

Posted on 02/01/2022 11:32

Contact domestic direct  they have fitters that will come out to you ,if they can get the parts

Dangerous D replied on 30/06/2022 23:09

Posted on 08/02/2021 19:12 by

Posted on 30/06/2022 23:09

We have Xplore 554se 2020 model.

Easy to tow. I'm 6ft 1 , wife 5ft 11 , facilities were closed during Covid restrictions, so operated as self contained unit up and down west coast of Scotland.

Good shower, wash room, and internal services.

Heating can be noisy .but very effective. 

We took possession in sept 2020 .Covid restrictions caused factory shut down mid build.At 2021 service water ingress found through front window. No sealant .

Quickly rectified by dealership.

No frills,  but we love it.

Kitchen good. 

Bed good

Fridge good size with freezer compartment.

(Shower drains to oposite side of van and can be sluggish if not perfectly level.)

Overall I would say good value for money.

Dangerous D

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook