Ebike battery charging using inverter

scouter66 replied on 10/12/2018 15:08

Posted on 10/12/2018 15:08

We currently have a 1000w inverter on our MH which generally copes with all our off grid needs.  However having recently purchased an e bike the battery will not charge on the inverter.  I am not sure if the inverter is too small & simply overloading or if there is an inherent problem with inverters charging this type of battery.  

Does anyone use an inverter to charge their e bikes.  I would like a bit of clarity before I simply go out and buy a larger inverter.  Thanks.

young thomas replied on 10/12/2018 15:47

Posted on 10/12/2018 15:47

I have a 500w Ring (I think) modified sine wave inverter. I use it to charge our ebike batteries.

one is a Panasonic and the other a Bosch.

i think i have read that some ebike chargers might only work with pure sine wave inverters. 

perhaps you can take the chargers somewhere it's possible to test on another inverter.

or..see if someone else has (say) a Panasonic or Bosch charger to test the other way round on your charger.

good luck.

ocsid replied on 10/12/2018 15:48

Posted on 10/12/2018 15:48

My immediate reaction is to ask if it is a pure sine wave inverter or a modified sine wave unit?

The latter may not work and potentially could damage the bike's charger.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook